Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to find and purchase some self locking axle nuts for my 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300. In the past I have purchased Dual Star self locking axle nuts to replace the castle nuts and cotter pins, but I cannot find their website or source anymore. The self locking are much more friendly to use while adjusting the drive chain.
Anyone know where I can purchase these item?
Anyone know the metric size and pitch of the stock axle nuts, front and rear, on the 2017 Versys-X 300, or where I can find this information without removing my axle nuts and measuring them?
Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
There was a post on this site or advrider.com that mentioned the Honda XR650L axle nuts as being Versys-X 300 compatible and self locking.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whisperquiet,
Thanks again for the related information regarding the self locking axle nuts. I found the actual measurements for the nut is M16 x 1.5 which is very helpful.
I’ve revisited ADV and was impressed by the knowledge base and the large number of members and posts involving the Versys-X 300.
I’m going to follow your lead and spend more time on the ADV Forum instead of the Versys Forum.
I also finished removing both of the bar ends on my Versys-X, quite a chore even when using lubricant. Those bar end are almost exactly like what Honda used on there NC700X. A real pain in the ass to remove, but worth it after you replace them with some “REAL” bar ends. I’m replacing mine with HEAVY HVMP bar ends. I’ve used these on my bikes since 2003.
Merry Christmas
PCG

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Duffy,
Thanks for the information for the locking M16 nuts at Fastenal. Fastenal does offer this item, but not the locking nut with flange. This is a one piece nut that also includes a flange. So you don’t have a separate washer.
Happy Holidays,
PCG

·
Registered
147 Posts
Why woud you do this? Going with a self locking nut will increase you wheel maintenance costs 1,000 fold! You know technically, you are suppose to replace that nut after every use. If you don't want to deal with a cotter pin then use a hitch pin or saftey wire for easier use. Cotter pins cost pennies...

·
Registered
821 Posts
I use these instead of a cotter pin.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a box of 5000 cotter pins left over from my shop I closed in 2012 , don't think I will run
out any time soon.

·
Super Moderator
19,395 Posts
I re-use my cotter pins, as (after REPLACING the OEM one, which had both ends pulled back, surrounding the axle-nut) I just spread the ends to about 1/2 to 3/4", which has been enough to keep them from "exiting" the nut, and means they're good for a few uses.

I DO carry a spare w/ my tools, however!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
+1 for using the hair pin style cotter pin,

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are correct about the cost of replacing a locking nut after each loosening and/or removal of the rear wheel.
I’ve also used a hitch pin on the rear wheel of my V-Strom. Works well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts