Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across a security oil plug for the V? You know, the kind that is difficult to remove without the right tool.:feedback:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Is there really a problem with people stealing oil plugs.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, but i had some well minded "citizen" put gas, and a lot of it in my oil one day. Caused me some problems that I noticed quickly and shut off the engine. Could have been avoided if I had a nice security plug.:yeahsmile:

·
Registered
582 Posts
:eek::eek:
I also had something like that happen years ago, except it was sugar in the tank-made it 8 miles, truck bucked a few times and quit. Tank was all gel. Motor never did run right after that! Iknow they make locking gas caps but have not heard of the other. Sounds like a possible money idea :goodidea:

·
Registered
434 Posts
:eek::eek:
I also had something like that happen years ago, except it was sugar in the tank-made it 8 miles, truck bucked a few times and quit. Tank was all gel. Motor never did run right after that! Iknow they make locking gas caps but have not heard of the other. Sounds like a possible money idea :goodidea:
Soo.....Gasoline melted the sugar in your gas tank and turned it to a gel?? Or was it Jello in your gas tank? :dgi:

Sorry, sugar (or Jello for that matter) does not dissolve in gasoline.

V-Zee

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
So we are talking about the oil cap and not the oil plug (two very different things).
I'm also amazed at how someone could confuse the gas intake with the oil intake. Didn't they notice the gas nozzle was too big to fit into the hole?
This whole thing just sounds fishy.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I'm also amazed at how someone could confuse the gas intake with the oil intake. Didn't they notice the gas nozzle was too big to fit into the hole?
This whole thing just sounds fishy.
They way I took it was that some well minded "citizen" meaning A-hole did it as is sabotage..... Could have poured from a lawn mower can or jar??

I think everyone knows including non-bikers where the gas tank is on a MC.

When I was in the Navy, I had a shipmate who's wife filled the oil fill in their car up to the top with water thinking that it was the radiator and it should have been topped off :eek:

So anything is possible.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You can always drill a small hole in it and safety wire it like you would a track bike. Cost almost nothing and really easy to spot if someone touched it.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
You can always drill a small hole in it and safety wire it like you would a track bike. Cost almost nothing and really easy to spot if someone touched it.
That is a neat idea (if you are worried about it). It would indeed be easy to spot.

I would think if someone was going to put something in the oil fill and saw it wired closed, they could just as easily ruin your ride by kicking it over, slashing your seat or tires and the list goes on and on.... It makes me sick to think of what punks can do in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Well, I ordered one. I have 2 kaws, and I figure it'll fit one of them. I have a cap on the Duc that requires an allen wrench to open.

Have a look at the footpegs for the Concours 14. They'll also fit the Versys, and they lower the pegs 1-1/2"

·
Registered
55 Posts
In my opinion it isn't worth it, especially at $65.

If you are looking for the bling-bling aspect, it's a small part of the engine that most people aren't going to notice.

If you are worried about vandalism, as Capt Kirk said, it is far too easy to damage a bike (push it over, slash tires/seat, etc).
$65 will pay for a few months of insurance that will cover any damage some idiot may cause. Plus you get medical and collision on top of that.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In my opinion it isn't worth it, especially at $65.

If you are looking for the bling-bling aspect, it's a small part of the engine that most people aren't going to notice.

If you are worried about vandalism, as Capt Kirk said, it is far too easy to damage a bike (push it over, slash tires/seat, etc).
$65 will pay for a few months of insurance that will cover any damage some idiot may cause. Plus you get medical and collision on top of that.
So, what part of town do you live in? I want visit your ride and see how you feel about it. :grinangel:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts