Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making my obligatory second post on the intro page and jumping the gun a little: I have owned this bike for 48 hours and it wants to maim me or itself -- what's with the kickstand?? Is dropping it in my driveway a rite of initiation?? Is there a trick?? Trying to get my leg over the seat and top case makes me wish I hadn't given up on ballet lessons.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Use your heel to catch the stub. Then your shin rides the arc clear of the foot peg. No more pain. Try leaving the bike on it's side stand, step onto the peg, then go up and over the saddle without feeling like a contortionist. Tuck the side stand away using the ball of your foot. Again missing the foot peg by following its arc to stowage position.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Use your heel to catch the stub. Then your shin rides the arc clear of the foot peg. No more pain. Try leaving the bike on it's side stand, step onto the peg, then go up and over the saddle without feeling like a contortionist. Tuck the side stand away using the ball of your foot. Again missing the foot peg by following its arc to stowage position.
And this:

and you are golden

·
Registered
383 Posts
When I lowered mine, I bought a ninja650 kickstand. It has a longer catch arm. Bonus was no cutting to lower it. $25 on ebay.

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts
I am making my obligatory second post on the intro page and jumping the gun a little: I have owned this bike for 48 hours and it wants to maim me or itself -- what's with the kickstand?? Is dropping it in my driveway a rite of initiation?? Is there a trick?? Trying to get my leg over the seat and top case makes me wish I hadn't given up on ballet lessons.
Or 'mount-up' from the right side: right foot onto right peg holding rear brake w/ toe, right hand holding front brake ON. Then up and over, transferring weight to your left hand as you settle in.

The other way, is what we used to call the "KLR shuffle". From the left side, right leg and foot level, pointed slightly above the seat (I hold my cuff in my right hand), then sort of "hop" towards your bike till your foot is past the seat, then settle in.

:welcome:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the 'issue'

Problem is that I am accustomed to my VStrom -- lower seat, longer wheelbase, lower box on back. This bike has a Givi box about 5 feet in the air and with the kickstand the bike is much closer to vertical -- all in all it is quite a reach for my aging limbs. First mod will be the lower kickstand --

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts
Or 'mount-up' from the right side: right foot onto right peg holding rear brake w/ toe, right hand holding front brake ON. Then up and over, transferring weight to your left hand as you settle in.

The other way, is what we used to call the "KLR shuffle". From the left side, right leg and foot level, pointed slightly above the seat (I hold my cuff in my right hand), then sort of "hop" towards your bike till your foot is past the seat, then settle in.

:welcome:
My suggestions are from an ELDERLY V rider, w/ 31" inseams....

:type:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Wanna see a POS side stand, look at a 950 pound Honda Gold Wing. Sport bike side stand on a hippo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.