Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Vrooming on a 2019 Versys 650
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopped a ferry out of Seattle for Bainbridge to meet up with @dbmccrohan and our other friend for some Clallum County dirt riding. Or that was the destination.

First we met up at the Hood Canal Bridge and rode pavement to the well-stocked gas/convenience store near the 7 Cedars Casino in Blyn. Gassed up and got food and made a turn onto some winding dirt roads that climbed to provide great scenery.

Tried to ride up a hill that didn't look too intimidating and had trouble getting to the top. On the way back down, two of three bikes were dropped. Puig crash bars did their job thankfully for my Versys 650.

Dripped with sweat, had some lunch eventually, and did some less eventful but no less scenic dirt riding all the way to an afternoon caffeine refill in Quilcene.

All in all, a great day on two wheels with friends and lots of Olympic Mountains in view.

20210418_091744.jpg


20210418_114053.jpg


20210418_115532.jpg


20210418_122339.jpg


20210418_123011.jpg


20210418_134422.jpg


20210418_135051.jpg


182560
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
Looked to be a fun time for sure. Just curious as to what kind of tires you are running on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
On fire and gravel roads like that in Central WA I have never needed anything other than street tires. Just have to stay out of any mud you find.
 

·
Registered
Vrooming on a 2019 Versys 650
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On fire and gravel roads like that in Central WA I have never needed anything other than street tires. Just have to stay out of any mud you find.
@Vern357 same. If my research is correct, knobbies are great for more serious off-pavement fun but cost traction and offer a less smooth riding experience on paved roads...

My thinking is the Versys isn't really up for more serious off-pavement anyways (maybe the 300, but the 650?...I think it's great for exactly what I like which is fire and gravel roads more or less)...if I wanted to more than that, I'd want to own a dual sport...but I don't...so I don't :).

And if I'm on any kind of dirt/gravel it's in the 10-20% range max, and I don't want to sacrifice traction or the smooth ride I get from the OEM tires for the other 80%...riding with other buddies who have knobbier options on their 650 and BMW 1100, I've never felt outmatched in the dirt.
 

·
Registered
Vrooming on a 2019 Versys 650
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
My next tires will be the shinko 705's. Had them back on my KLR650, I really didnt notice a big difference on road, but off road I could get places I used to spin out in. And will be getting the 120/90 for the taller front wheel.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,411 Posts
My next tires will be the shinko 705's.... And will be getting the 120/90 for the taller front wheel.
ENSURE that you have clearance w/ the front fender before you put a 120/90 on....
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top