Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know a lot of effort and innovative thought has gone into getting this seat ridable, and I don't want to take away from any of it.

That said. Cutting the 4" hole in my seat pan today changed everything for the better.
Took the bike out for a 60 mile highway jaunt and instantly realized the improvement. No pressure on my tailbone, no tilting/ramping, less tip toeing.

My wife rode with me and she said I was at least an inch, or almost two, lower in the saddle.
Keeping in mind I only sanded ¾" at most from the foam, the balance of the height loss comes from my butt bones bearing my weight instead of my tailbone.
Very excited about the new seat.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Based on great reviews from fellow members on this site, I decided to send my 2014 650 Versys seat to Spencer for modification. What a great transformation it is over stock! In today's world, it's rare to find someone like Spencer that's so committed to quality in their craft. I asked Spencer for the rider seat to be re-sculpted using the Supracor, building up the front, with a rearward tilt back so I sat bumped up to the passenger riser... not the gas tank. Mission accomplished! Thanks to my wife forgetting gifts at her cousin's house last night, I used Christmas morning as an excuse to road test the seat for the first time and ride out to get them. Immediately, I realized I was sitting comfortably back and upright. No gonad crushing into the gas tank upon braking, or the normal forward creep while riding. After an hour and a half of riding I'm now sure this was the right choice, because I wasn't thinking about the uncomfortable seat anymore, I was enjoying my ride! Spencer did my mod for $75 and his fast service and communication during the process scores him an A+. I will recommend his service to my local friends that never loved their stock seats either. Felt like two-wheeled Merry Christmas to me today. If you're not digging your stock seat, I would encourage you to speak with Spencer at greatdaytoride.com

·
Registered
106 Posts
OK, attached are some pics. Spencer asks you for a pic of you seated on the bike positioned where you want to ride in the saddle. I'm 6 feet tall with a 34" inseam, and 56 years old. I did not have him modify the passenger section of the seat, since that's where my tail bag always rides... but he will modify that too if requested. The next two pics show there's really not much visible change in appearance as he reuses the original seat cover. The nose is elevated and where your butt sits is slightly lowered. Looking at the cover from underneath it is drawn tighter than the original cover as the original staple holes are moved inward. The Supracor seat material under your butt is way better structure than stock foam. Read up on Supracor for more on that material: http://www.supracor.com/ The quality in re-crafting the seat is second to none. Spencer charged me $50 to rebuild the rider section and an additional $25 to use state-of-the-art Supracor instead of the stock old school foam. With this mod I am free to shift and move, but I do not drift towards the tank while riding, or get shoved into the gas tank when braking. Hope this helps you guys if interested in changing your seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Here is a cheap-hybrid seat conversion done-and-done. I just got a sticky (rubber net) tail section off fleabay (keeps stuff on seat when stopped or rolling - $20), a Coleman (now MaDDog) seat cover ($20), and a Cycle gear gel pad below (about $50.) The MaDDog pad and gel pad are folded over at the front to keep my privates from bumping my gas tank (kind of like FastEddies washer lift on his seat.) I think it looks pretty buff for $90 total and does the job good for 32" inseam 6' tall rider (with lowered footpegs and lifted anti-vibe risers.)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Has anyone ever tried modifying their saddle so that there is a channel right down the center? The picture below is an example of what I mean by channel. It serves to take pressure off the perineum (ok, taint if you will :p!).

The saddle pictured here is sold by Saddlmen. Unfortunately they do not sell one for the Versys. I would like to take a used OEM 1st gen saddle to a custom saddle maker and have this done to it (if anyone has an OEM 1st Gen saddle they would like to sell please PM me). I need an additional saddle in the event that the modified saddle doesn't do what I want it to do.

·
Premium Member
9,402 Posts
2015 650 ABS Seat Retro/ Mod

For now I will let the pictures do the talking. The first picture is the start and last is completed.
Tools used, please don't laugh, if it works why not. One Dewalt Sawzall and demolition cobalt 9 inch blade. One Arrow pneumatic stapler. 1/4 stainless staples ( about 115 )One belt sander with 120 grain sand paper.Fine slot screwdriver and small needle nose pliers, both for pulling staples and for stretching /holding fabric while stapling.One nine inch level, and magic marker. One spray bomb of clear adhesive for foam. Two cuts of high density foam from the foam store, 1/2 inch X 14X14 and 1/2 inch 12X14. One piece of closed cell ethafoam for transition piece.

One thing to note is the bubble is far right on the lower main seat, hence the raising the seat mod, you will notice the final mod the seat is now level. The passenger seat is also almost level after final install. FYI the fabric was a bit short but I was able to staple it.

You will notice the use of a level in several photo's, be aware this was on a lift on the side stand, bike was as close to level as possible. The hump on the passenger area was removed. The passenger area had a extra layer added to try and reduce the decline angle. The third and second last photo's show the seat going through a rigorous inspection and passing an impartial quality control process by chief inspector Mr Bear, got a 100% approval so the last photo is of the seat mounted back on the bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,402 Posts
Just a update, the key to fixing my seat was purely accidental, and that key was the 9 inch level. I was able to test ride it for 208 KM, what a difference. Some conclusions I have arrived at;
the oem foam on the sides was inadequate and created pressure points on the upper thighs, I added foam again accidental as I wasn't sure if I could staple the covering back on without having the staples come through the covering, so that was the reason for the side foam.So I discovered on my first ride that I didn't have a pressure point on my thighs anymore, it never was as severe as the slope, but was noticeable.

Well the high point and pressure the used to be affecting most men, well it is gone, my seat is 100% better, only improvement would have been to reduce the thickness of the yellow etha foam.
So this is a first time ever mod on a seat, some key points, mark the plastic with marker as to the outline of the covering. Mark the location on each side where the seat seam is on the plastic, this gives a front to back location, and a starting point. Note the staple pattern and take a close up of the bottom front , as the fabric is taken up in several spots, note the angle of the staples.Use some blunt nose pliers to hold the fabric, ahead of where you are stapling, you can stretch the fabric in, using the pliers, have the staple gun in your hand, use the staple gun to pull down a additional 1/4 inch then fire, while holding ahead of your staple path with the pliers.I found using my fingers to pull first with my left hand and hold with the pliers in my right, avoided tearing or puncturing the fabric with the pointy part of my needle nose pliers.

Mentioned before but here is a link, this Arrow PT50 will fire 9/16 staples flush into oak hardwood, that safety mechanism is there for a reason. There are other staplers on the market, non with as low a profile as the Arrow, picked up in Canada at Canadian Tire on sale for $25, what a deal!!https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...YGCOr4&usg=AFQjCNHLzVYDlROSrpg_QjT6pk-s2sTkSw

I am sure I missed some points but if there are questions, you know how to reach me!!

·
Premium Member
9,402 Posts
If There is interest I may Update Photo to Inline

Once the Gallery post limit ( back to 100 for members and 200 for mods) gets sorted out I may update to inline photos if there is interest.

·
Premium Member
9,402 Posts
Finished Product / Complete with Inspection

Once the Gallery post limit ( back to 100 for members and 200 for mods) gets sorted out I may update to inline photos if there is interest.
Due to a limit of 20 photos I posted the finished product here.
Quality Control Inspector

OK where is the rest of the Bike Look, really smart Lab / Husky--He still approved it!!:grin2:

Finished Product

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know a lot of effort and innovative thought has gone into getting this seat ridable, and I don't want to take away from any of it.

That said. Cutting the 4" hole in my seat pan today changed everything for the better.
Took the bike out for a 60 mile highway jaunt and instantly realized the improvement. No pressure on my tailbone, no tilting/ramping, less tip toeing.

My wife rode with me and she said I was at least an inch, or almost two, lower in the saddle.
Keeping in mind I only sanded ¾" at most from the foam, the balance of the height loss comes from my butt bones bearing my weight instead of my tailbone.
2015 650 ABS Seat Mod DIYS

Rather than delete my old post I thought I would post inline, start to finish, no text needed.:surprise::surprise:

Thankyou for the photos they really helped me a lot in shaving and shaping my seat and I also sit lower now and can touch the ground better with both feet 🦶👍👍 Thankyou for the help

·
Registered
9 Posts

Great could you post some photos of where you cut your seat pan and how you modified the foam. Sounds like you ended up with just what I looking for. Thank you for help 👍👍

·
Registered
9 Posts

Can you post a photo of what you did to your seat pan to make it more comfortable and was wondering if doing what you did also lowered the seat any I am 62 years old and would feel better if I could touch the ground with both feet. Thank you for your information 👍👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
Based on great reviews from fellow members on this site, I decided to send my 2014 650 Versys seat to Spencer for modification. What a great transformation it is over stock! In today's world, it's rare to find someone like Spencer that's so committed to quality in their craft. I asked Spencer for the rider seat to be re-sculpted using the Supracor, building up the front, with a rearward tilt back so I sat bumped up to the passenger riser... not the gas tank. Mission accomplished! Thanks to my wife forgetting gifts at her cousin's house last night, I used Christmas morning as an excuse to road test the seat for the first time and ride out to get them. Immediately, I realized I was sitting comfortably back and upright. No gonad crushing into the gas tank upon braking, or the normal forward creep while riding. After an hour and a half of riding I'm now sure this was the right choice, because I wasn't thinking about the uncomfortable seat anymore, I was enjoying my ride! Spencer did my mod for $75 and his fast service and communication during the process scores him an A+. I will recommend his service to my local friends that never loved their stock seats either. Felt like two-wheeled Merry Christmas to me today. If you're not digging your stock seat, I would encourage you to speak with Spencer at greatdaytoride.com
Can you give me more information on Spencer email address I would like to send him my seat and have him make it comfortable like he did yours Thank you

·
Registered
18 Posts
The blue guy is long gone.

The material I removed is , as I remember it, was directly above the shock mount bolt.

Sound right?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts