Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad that I could have been of assistance.

Like Bedtime said, 11" or so...but it is just slightly narrower than the stock. When I first sat on it, it felt like I was going to maybe roll off the edges....but after my first ride I did not notice that and it hasn't been and issue since. The foam in kinda neat in that you can feel it move up and down when you hit bumps.....must be the "active" thing they mention on the web site.

·
Registered
363 Posts
So how do you install one of these "foam & cover" kits, do you have to rip apart your stock seat to get the pan?

·
Registered
13 Posts
You just remove the staples and cover comes right off. The foam is glued at the edge only at the front, back, and the middle of each side.

Then just reverse the process to install new cover. Spray a little glue to attach the foam to the pan and then lay the cover over the foam and start at the front and attach that, go to the back and put a few staples, and then work on the sides starting at the front working your way to the rear.

I had an edge as I worked for many years customizing vans so a lot of the knowledge I had from that applied directly to this project.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Update on the Seat Concepts Version 2 , standard seat.

Multi days longest was 7 hours. Had six other riders test the seat.
They all said it was hard. Not as hard as the original brick seat.

Will think about how I want to soften it more. I have a vertical height
issue that makes it harder than just adding soft foam.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wheels2ride,
I contacted SeatConcepts and asked them if they offered any foam equivalent to the foam that BMW uses in it’s motorcycle seats. I have test ridden a lot of BMWs and like the softness/firmness of their stock seat foam. Seat concept stated that they could match the density/support of the BMW foam. So I’ll be ordering the Tall SeatConcept foam and cover as soon as I purchase my 2019 Versys-X 300.
I think you may want to try that supportive formula of replacement foam on your seat redo.
PCG

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the new Seat Concepts tall seat kit and found the foam to be a bit hard as well. Not as hard as the stock foam, which is rock hard, but harder than I would prefer. So I ended up installing a 5/8" thick gel insert into the Seat Concepts foam and adding several layers of batting over the whole seat before recovering with the vinyl. So far I like the feel of this setup, but I haven't ridden longer than about three or four hours at any one time. The best thing about this seat is that it's flatter so you can move around more especially forward and backwards.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Final post on the Seat Concepts.

My do - overs. When ordering ask for a bit softer foam than their standard. Their standard shipment is just like the stock with slightly softer foam.

I have a height problem so adding more is the wrong solution.

I have taken the electric carving knife to the seat. I cut a slant from the back (rib) down to the lowest portion of the seat. This gives you about another 1 1/2 inch fore and aft.

Also tapered the sides to reduce the height and edge cutting into my thighs.

Ht 5'7" inseam about 29".

Reactions: Jake Wheelie

·
Registered
160 Posts
Final post on the Seat Concepts.

My do - overs. When ordering ask for a bit softer foam than their standard. Their standard shipment is just like the stock with slightly softer foam.

I have a height problem so adding more is the wrong solution.

I have taken the electric carving knife to the seat. I cut a slant from the back (rib) down to the lowest portion of the seat. This gives you about another 1 1/2 inch fore and aft.

Also tapered the sides to reduce the height and edge cutting into my thighs.

Ht 5'7" inseam about 29".
I have the same inseam as you but I haven't messed with the seat height in any way. I want to get another, more comfortable seat also.
My solution to the height problem was to get boots with a taller sole and use insole inserts that are made to boost height. This will do me good with a slightly taller seat that's more comfortable.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Reminds me of a $$funny$$ story.

Going to Europe and renting a bike. Asked for lower seat (1" , Bmw). For additional assurance I bought some on sale, street riding boots and had the about 1 1/4 inches added.

The $$ part was it cost more to increase the height than the cost of the boots. The funny part is the Rental company DID supply the lowered seat that was just right and now I had the lifted boots. These narrow Italian boots felt like high heels. They did not give me confidence in the area of support but the height was fine. When I finished the tour I threw them away.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yep. They feel like high heels. I saw a BMW GS850 at the motorcycle show in NYC last year and you can get it with a lower seat. The X 300 already has a lower seat so I don't really think I can do anything about it. I'm already used to it but I have to change my boots for work whereas with the Burgman 200 I can use the same boots I use for work.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
This thread has been extremely helpful. I think I'll order the Seat Concepts but ask for softer foam.

Just throwing this out there, but Seat Concepts allows group buys.

I participated in one for my FZ-07 and got it at 30% off.

I started one for the Royal Enfield Himalayan and we got enough participants for 30% off and I as the organizer got 50% off.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The Sear Concept seat is definitely worth the $200. I've put numerous ten hour days in on it. But(t) every bodies different. I had a Russell Daylong on my c-10 Connie that was for me, the ultimate. Several 1000 mile days, the longest being 1304. I was tired, but my butt was fine.

I looked into a Russell for my '15 650. They wanted over $800 for it, and that was without heat and no leather. A bit rich for me.

If anyone wants to try out my broken in Seat Concept seat(about 47k miles), I'm leaving on a three month trip heading to MN from FLA, then on to the Black Hills then Colorado and the high country in AZ and NM, the day after Memorial Day. Shoot me a PM for a meet up and we can swap seats. Once I'm on the road, my check ins on this forum are quite sporadic. If you could let me know before I go we can set up something to meet up along with a communications channel. Otherwise, I may or may not see your request in time before I move on.

Or if you want, just ping me up for a face to face meet up and maybe some riding. That's all good, also.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
21 - 40 of 53 Posts