Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went for a 240 mile solo trip the other day up to Prescott and back. The trip was terrific and the Versys handled terrifically...but my butt started to give out on me around mile 200. I want to do long distance trips. Do I just need to build up to it or is there another solution - a better, more comfortable seat? The Corbin seat? Another option? Is long distance comfort in a seat a pretty universal idea or am I going to have to try soft seats and hard seats like trying out a freakin' mattress?

THANKS!

·
Registered
764 Posts
there are literally dozens of things you can do with the seat

1. diy modification
  2. spencer mod
  3. baldwin seat
  4. corbin seat
  5. bmw 1150 seat
  6. just throw a sheepskin over it
a quick search will bring up a couple of threads for each of these options, it is a very common mod. :goodluck:

·
Registered
499 Posts
So many threads on that here. My solution: Russell day-long saddle. I've had the Baldwin and the Russell. With the Baldwin I could go an hour or two. With the Russell, I can literally go all-day (and did just that during an 11 hour ride a few weeks back ... stops for fuel and food of course).

·
Registered
901 Posts
So many threads on that here. My solution: Russell day-long saddle. I've had the Baldwin and the Russell. With the Baldwin I could go an hour or two. With the Russell, I can literally go all-day (and did just that during an 11 hour ride a few weeks back ... stops for fuel and food of course).
Do you have a pic of your bike with the Russel seat?

·
Registered
74 Posts
seat mod

i've had my seat "spencerized" for a total cost of about $130.00 including s&h. i'm completely happy with it. long rides are no longer a problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What is spencerized? Do you have any pictures of your seat? For my being 6'1 it is not long enough for me. If it was 1" taller and 1" farther back to the hump it would be perfect I think.

·
Registered
111 Posts
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Spencer modifies your existing seat to your specifications, and then recovers the seat with the original cover.

I had my seat 'Spencerized' a few weeks ago (about $140 with shipping). I'm very satisfied with the results. Just yesterday I rode 4 hours which, before the modification, would have had my buns screaming. But now, I could have easily rode another 4 hours without complaint. (And it's also a godsend not slamming into the tank when I break!)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Do you have a pic of your bike with the Russel seat?
I don't think I have any pictures of it mounted, but I did take some comparison pictures here, and there are pictures of other bikes with the Russell in that thread.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Based on the numerous postings on this forum regarding the V's seat...I expected to need a replacement when I bought the bike. So far...the Alaskan Sheepskin that I used on my BMW has made the stock seat quite acceptable. My intention is to continue with the stock seat and sheepskin pad conbination.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Based on the numerous postings on this forum regarding the V's seat...I expected to need a replacement when I bought the bike. So far...the Alaskan Sheepskin that I used on my BMW has made the stock seat quite acceptable. My intention is to continue with the stock seat and sheepskin pad conbination.

I been meaning to try one of those....nice to know its worked for someone.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I regularly ride 8-10 hour days on my Versys. I tried the Alaskan sheepskin and found it almost useless for those long days. I upgraded to a Corbin and it improved my comfort by a factor of X2. That said, I just ordered Airhawk seat cushions in the hope that they'll make day-long riding even more comfortable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had my seat modified by Spencer. Sent it from Atlanta to his place in Florida on 4/25/11. Had it back by 5/2. I only did the drivers seat as I don't take passengers. Total cost with shipping was $75 for the 'long distance' mod plus $11 roundtrip shipping. I rode 90 minutes yesterday in complete comfort. Could have gone a lot longer. Seat looks exactly stock.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I regularly ride 8-10 hour days on my Versys. I tried the Alaskan sheepskin and found it almost useless for those long days. I upgraded to a Corbin and it improved my comfort by a factor of X2. That said, I just ordered Airhawk seat cushions in the hope that they'll make day-long riding even more comfortable.
I've used an airhawk on three different bikes, a klr 650 a yamaha roadstar and a versys, without fail the airhawk has changed torturous rides into a pleasure. It cushions, molds and most importantly, to me, keeps the heat away from your "TENDEREST":eek: part of your anatomy. Just don't overinflate it. I use just enough air to barely keep me off of the seat. With all the riding you do I'm sure you will love it.
Nick

·
Registered
172 Posts
I didn't have any problems with the seat until I lowered the pegs and got risers on the handlebars. This naturally puts me in the middle of the seat instead of the front of the seat. Maybe I am so used to sitting in the front of the seat from my DRZ and now the Versys that my butt isn't trained to the new location. Anyway now I am thinking about seat mods, with the Airhawk or Spencer mod at the top of my list because of their price.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm not a big fan of seat pads, although maybe I should limit my comments to gel pads as I haven't tried an airhawk. I found the gel pad would squirm around just enough that it messed up my sense of control in the corners. I now use a Baldwin and a sheepskin and the combo is very good for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Kawi lowered seat on my 2007 V. Combined with the Alaska Sheepskin seat cover I have done some comfortable, consecutive 10 hour days on the Versys.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My seat is stock other than raising the front mounting point as others have done. It used to give me a lot of trouble on longer rides but not so much any more. Did a week long ride to Colorado last fall. Longest day was around 800 miles, Taos to Tulsa. I was tired but my butt was ok. John.

·
Super Moderator
19,395 Posts
My seat is stock other than raising the front mounting point as others have done. It used to give me a lot of trouble on longer rides but not so much any more. Did a week long ride to Colorado last fall. Longest day was around 800 miles, Taos to Tulsa. I was tired but my butt was ok. John.
I've done 11 hour days w/ JUST the front raised 9/16", and no problems, but got a "Spencer Mod" now and it's great(er)! :yeahsmile:

·
Registered
521 Posts
sissy's

You just need to toughen up your arse.

Hahah:thumb:

:rolleyes:

:clap:

:)

·
Registered
102 Posts
+1 with the Alaskan sheepskin pad. I've used one a few bikes and it sure does help. I also plan on shimming the front of the seat to give a little relief. It's a low budget compromise but it should work.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts