Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the MotoWerk lowering link on my Versys for a couple years now, really no downside for me;there's still plenty of clearance and the bike just fit me better. I noticed a chip on the shock spring after a while, then another, and another.

While I had some bodywork off to attend to some wiring I finally put 2+2 together. The welded metal tab that supports the side cover has been scraping it. Not regularly, probably just some big hits off pavement.
Not a big deal, there's 30k on the bike and it shows a bit of wear. I did recently spring for an Ohlins replacement shock though, and I sure don't want to be scraping that up.
Anybody else have this happen?
Any suggestions for the new shock?

·
Registered
720 Posts
No choice considering the lowering kit puts the whole shock nearer to the tab. Either remove the lowering kit, or put a shock socks over it. Wat spring rate are you getting for the ohlins replacement? If u get a ofter than stock spring, you can be assured of more occasion of hitting it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The shock order form asked for weight with gear and a breakdown of the riding- sport, touring, urban. They didn't ask me to spec my own spring. I have the pre-load on the stocker generally set at 0, though I add a click when I put the camping kit on.
I thought about removing the the lowering block at the change-over, even before I realized that the tab was hitting the shock. That would violate the "change one thing at a time" rule though, and make evaluating the shock a bit problematic. I suppose I could remove the block now and ride it some at stock height. I'd need to source another side-stand though, mine got cut down-down and the Flatfoot installed.
Hadn't thought about a shock sock, that's interesting.
Modifying the tab makes sense, the downside is that I wouldn't know if it was enough until I'd bottomed the spring and had a chip on the Ohlins, or not.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Modifying the tab makes sense, the downside is that I wouldn't know if it was enough until I'd bottomed the spring and had a chip on the Ohlins, or not.
You could wait to modify the tab until you get the new ohlins shock. The preload on those changes pretty easy. Loosen the preload until there is no load and you should be able to sag the rear down easily to see if it is going to hit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts