Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After selling my '09 V last November I've taken a bit of time to select a replacement for a 2013 ride to Alaska.

After internet research, chats with riding buddies, and a few demo rides I shortened the list of possible candidates to the DL 650 Adventure, DR 650, and KLR 650. (Another Versys wasn't on my list because...well...I wanted something different).

This week I brought home a new 2012 KLR 650.

While I don't expect this decision to gain approval from this forum's members...I wanted to take the time to say goodbye and thanks for the information that helped me prepare the Versys for last year's ride to Montana.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Switching to a KLR does not mean you have to say good bye. Depending on where your heading and how you are getting there the KLR can be a really good choice.

Keep us posted on your trip to Alaska.

Godspeed

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
Adios......

·
Registered
142 Posts
I ain't mad at U! I had an 87 KLR for 47,000 wonderful miles. Til a %^$$ Thief decided he wanted it more. I do think that Kaw somewhat ruined this machine tho in 08, much extra weight, no more power. I'd still have mine today (with a front brake upgrade and aftermarket suspension) only if?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nice left field choice -- but then again you wanted something different. I was thinking you'd go weestrom.

As you know young grasshopper, with every decision comes consequence. Giving up the V and wee for the K means giving up a level of paved comfort for more dirt. Congrats! You have just taken on the Karma of finding more dirt roads upon which to ride. Way cool. Not just in AK, but many great opportunities in the lower 48 on your way there.

Enjoy planning the trip. Many of us know that is a big part of the fun!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Did it come with a milk crate or will you have to find your own along side the road?:D

Been there, done that, still have the milk crate.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Did it come with a milk crate or will you have to find your own along side the road?:D

Been there, done that, still have the milk crate.
Of course you do. I still have the 4 from the back of a White Hen I "found" in college. Only one has seen action on a bike. Rest assured, all 4 serve as shelves in the garage as we speak.

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
Here's a VERY good site for the KLR650 - http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_klr650/
...bunch of really good guys there, just like this site. If you're interested, go to the pics and look for my series of photos on converting the spoked-wheels to tubeless. Worked really well on my '04.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am a new V owner for only a couple months now, but also have an 09 KLR.. I have to admit I have considered selling the KLR but every time I take her for a ride I can't believe how much I like it. I have an africa seat and have made a number of other changes, but bottom line is I enjoy riding the KLR more than the V at this point. I like the extra power of the V, but overall comfort for me goes to my KLR. You won't be disappointed with your KLR and it is one of the best all around bikes ever built in my opinion.. Just don't let forums throw so much at you about issues that are lurking with the bike that it overwhelms you.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did it come with a milk crate or will you have to find your own along side the road?
Over the years I've noticed a common trend with certain bikes:
- Harley riders add chrome parts
- BMW riders buy Kermit chairs
- Ducati riders replace components with carbon fiber
- ...and KLR riders (along with scooter folks) bolt on milk crates

·
Registered
944 Posts
Riding KLR from South Carolina to Alaska- there's gotta be medal for that!
I keep mine (a '92) mostly for another Baja trip (someday!), and haven't taken it on more than a 3-hour ride since I got the Versys.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I sold my fully loaded and modded '08 KLR not long after getting the '11 Versys. Sure the KLR can do Highway speeds but I never felt like pushing it beyond 65 MPH because I felt like I was working it too hard. i had no one to go exploring with and trails are few and far between around here. The Versys is more comfortable and fun for the riding I am doing with it. Good luck with your KLR. I see they are bringing back the candy lime green for '13.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have a KLR and it's a great motorcycle, one of my top 10. It will haul almost anything almost anwhere, as long as you're not in a hurry because fast it's not. Simple to work on and cheap as well. While there are some suppliers of after market parts for the Versys you can get anything for a KLR.

It has it's weak points of course, the Doohicky is the worse but can be upgraded for around $100.00 with the tools needed to change it. Brakes are at best poor, and the 08+ are prone to burn oil at high RPM. And of course the seat's no better than the junker on the Versys. :nono:

But my 09 has been to Florida from Ohio, to Va and WI with no trouble at all, not even a flat.

Check out this site for the low down.

http://www.klr650.net/forums/index.php

Here My "Fat Little Pig :p

·
Registered
774 Posts
I had my KLR milk crate on my Versys for a while.:D No pics though so no proof. Got rid of my KLR but now have the V and a KLX.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Riding KLR from South Carolina to Alaska- there's gotta be medal for that!
A friend of mine from Illinois rode from Key West, Florida to San Diego, California to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Goose Bay, Labrador and back to Key West in 16 days, divided into 8 travel days and 8 rest days. He did another "35 Bays" ride in which he and a friend went to every bay in North America.

My friend has a KLR.

http://www.bopisolutions.com/35Bay/Day30.htm

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
I had my KLR milk crate on my Versys for a while.:D No pics though so no proof. Got rid of my KLR but now have the V and a KLX.
Here's pics of MINE!

:stickpoke:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts