Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on my Versys. The gas tank bolts were undone but the fuel pump etc. was still connected. I had rotated the tank aside and had it rest on a support next to the bike, as I had often done.

Then I maneuvered the tank a bit carelessly and broke the plastic nipple off of the fuel pump.
That is not a plastic nipple replacement at $6, that is a fuel pump replacement at $220.

Don't be lazy as I was, disconnect your gas tank completely and set it aside.

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, brass tube and JB Weld repair it is.

Just know that if my crotch turns into a gasoline-fed fireball, I will hunt you down, find you, and sternly wag my index finger at you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Alright, brass tube and JB Weld repair it is.

Just know that if my crotch turns into a gasoline-fed fireball, I will hunt you down, find you, and sternly wag my index finger at you.
You can fix that with JB, too!

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Quote from their order page...
"THIS PLASTEX KIT INCLUDES 5 GRAMS OF WHITE POWDER, 1 LIQUID, 1 APPLICATOR BOTTLE, 1 NEEDLE, 1 MOLDING BAR, 1 VIDEO CD. SMALL PLASTEX WHITE KIT.
THIS KIT IS ENOUGH TO MAKE ONE SMALL TAB OR 3" CRACK REPAIR
. "

All this for $13.95 (plus shipping?) I think not.

Nothing beats JB Weld... and you can pick it up at Walmart or just about anywhere else right down the street... enough to make probably a 24" crack repair.

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
Just BECAUSE I've seen so many posts on here from guys that do almost anything RATHER than properly removing the tank, I took a few pics last time I removed the tank. To slide that red plastic "U-thingie" outboard to slip off the fuel line, you use a small (1/4"...?) slot screwdriver; slide it into the slot and GENTLY rotate it sideways which pulls the "U-thingie" out of its slot allowing the fuel line to be removed. (Some fuel WILL drip out, so wrap the end of the fuel-line with a cloth.) Here're the pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Hope you got it fixed. ANs didn't set yourself on fire!

Gives a new meaning to "Great Balls Of Fire!"

BUT thanks for the heads up...I'll follow the manual as I'm a cheap KLR rider in the Versys game. I know they say "You learn from your mistakes" But I don't want to pay $220.00 per class!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just BECAUSE I've seen so many posts on here from guys that do almost anything RATHER than properly removing the tank, I took a few pics last time I removed the tank. To slide that red plastic "U-thingie" outboard to slip off the fuel line, you use a small (1/4"...?) slot screwdriver; slide it into the slot and GENTLY rotate it sideways which pulls the "U-thingie" out of its slot allowing the fuel line to be removed. (Some fuel WILL drip out, so wrap the end of the fuel-line with a cloth.) Here're the pics:
Thanks Eddie!
Now that I know how easy it really is to remove the fuel tank fully (preventing fireballs gets you intimate with the related motorcycle parts and connections) I will definitely do so.

The "setting the tank aside on a barstool/stack of boxes/whatever" method is certainly not worth the risk.

EDIT:
The JB Weld repair has held so far, no photos yet of Great Balls Of Fire.
I too hope that it lasts longer than 2 years, and I will be inspecting it several times before that much time has elapsed.

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
That's a spooky looking' 2x4 Eddie...
It's VERY DIFFICULT to find 2x4s that have THAT particular strain of "lumberitis", a form of cancer-of-the-wood....
;)

Eddie is a master cabinet maker, and deals with beautiful wood specimens.
Invader (as usual) has my 'number'...!

:thanx:

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
Thanks Eddie!
Now that I know how easy it really is to remove the fuel tank fully (preventing fireballs gets you intimate with the related motorcycle parts and connections) I will definitely do so.

The "setting the tank aside on a barstool/stack of boxes/whatever" method is certainly not worth the risk....
You are VERY welcome! When I joined this "fraternity" back in 2008, a bunch of REALLY GOOD guys helped me out when I posted questions, me being an FNG.

:thanx:

Now as I do things that initially concerned me, I try to help out the other FNGs... ;) ...!

:goodidea:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts