Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

Just recently sent my OEM to Sargent for the “Revolution” seat. They basically install their foam and seat cover on your factory seat. I really did not like the OEM seat for basically two reasons

1. The seat had a fairly flat rider portion and in general seemed too hard and non-supportive. About an hour ride was all I could do without getting off the bike, before me bum was getting sore.

2. This second thing cause the most problem for me… I often had difficulties remaining towards the back portion of the seat, almost like I was sliding forward or had to put in extra gripping with my knees on the tank to prevent this sliding forward. Once I’m too far forward on the , comfort decreases, as I am taller rider with a 33.0 inseam. This creates more knee bend and generally more cramped riding position.

3. I went with the Sargent, because I had older Honda with them VFR-800 and ST1300, and found them more comfortable than the OEM seats.

4. So far I have limited riding time on the new seat, but I have actually found it to be worse rather than better. The cover material is much more slippery, than the Kawasaki OEM cover, so I actually slide forward much easier.

5. I cant speak to the supportiveness or comfort of the cushions yet, but I will comment on that after a few more hours in the saddle. The shape of the cushions is pretty similar to the OEM, I was hoping it would have a bit more of cup shape that holds you back, but not so.

The seat looks great and is well done, but I suspect a custom seat is in my future. I love so much about this bike, but the seat is real deal killer for a long term ownership of this ride. Perhaps a Russel Day Long is the next step, but I wont do that until after this riding season.

Comments and feedback encouraged.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback JT… I did check with Sargent, and it turns out they have a premium cover material called DTX that is more grippy. They said they would upgrade my seat with material at No Cost, other than shipping, so I will likely take them up on that at the end of the riding season. I have never tried the Corbin, so that might a good option if the recover does not work… Happy rides to you sir.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before owning my 2016 I demoed a Versys with the stock seat and understand your concerns. I second the Corbin. PO installed the heated version with the pillion backrest. I found the seat very hard (Corbin"s are know for firmness) but the shape was to my liking. To soften the seat and gain some leg room (I'm 6'2" with 33" inseam) I added the 1 inch yoga mat and Bead Rider. The heating feature is now pretty useless up front but the engine makes enough heat for my lower half anyways. I like beads and splurged for the ceramic Bead Rider and wish I hadn't as they heat up quickly in the sunlight and hold the heat. I have cheap wooden beads on another motorcycle and find them better in the heat. The pillion backrest is fabulous for keeping a duffel in place which can act as a comfy backrest when properly packed. Highway pegs on SW Motech crash bars give multiple riding positions. With this setup I've done 1000 mile days in relative comfort.

I have a Sargent on another motorcycle with a flat seat and initially liked it. After a relatively short time the seat developed depressions which inhibit sliding fore and aft. I believe their foam is not as resilient as some others. If I wasn't so happy with the Corbin, I'd try a Seat Concepts. I have their product on a dual sport which I adore.
View attachment 190469
Good Feedback. The beads and yoga mat are interesting… Doesn’t that combo create som sliding around during hard braking and rapid acceleration?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts