Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to have a way to carry small items with me and had been using a backpack until now. I'm pretty much a day rider and never had a need for large bags and never quite cared for tank bags. I settled for the small soft bags made by Saddlemen. Once they arrived I realized I did indeed need a way to keep them from leaning in towards the rear tire. I was struck by the idea of fabricating a sort of bracket that I could remove easily but would offer substantial support to the bags. The Saddlemen bags came with a series of slots sewn into the back across the top of them. I constructed a bracket from 16 gauge steel that connects to one of the passenger grip bolts and a castle looking piece from aluminum that attaches to that piece and which the bags hang on. After making a template from poster board I fabricated the units using a grinder, jigsaw and small drill press. All in all I think it turned at pretty well.

I attached a T-shaped piece I had laying around to the spot just below the passenger peg that is drilled and tapped so I would have a place to secure the bag.

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
Looks Great...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey lanesplitter, where are you in Atlanta? I'm in Buckhead. Just saw your picture of your V and I'm getting ready to paint my lower plastic "fairings" red as well. Just ordered the paint from ColorRite yesterday. I'm also going to paint the black plastic piece from the tank to the seat red. Nice work on the bag set up.....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

RLJ - I'm in Snellville. I've been thinking about painting the black plastics around my seat as well. When you're done post pics. I'll bet that will really make the bike look sleek.

·
Registered
281 Posts

RLJ - I'm in Snellville. I've been thinking about painting the black plastics around my seat as well. When you're done post pics. I'll bet that will really make the bike look sleek.
Just curious, did you paint the inside of the lower fairings red or did you tape them off and leave them black? Did you use the ColorRite paint? Your paint match looks pretty good.

I like your crash bars painted silver, I'm going to order them soon and was originally thinking about painting them red however I really like the silver on yours.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious, did you paint the inside of the lower fairings red or did you tape them off and leave them black? Did you use the ColorRite paint? Your paint match looks pretty good.

I like your crash bars painted silver, I'm going to order them soon and was originally thinking about painting them red however I really like the silver on yours.
I taped the inside leaving them black and applied the OEM red and clear paint with a Preval sprayer. I used Rustoleum metallic silver spray paint on the crash bars and it matched pretty darn good. An entire can allowed me to put 3 - 4 coats on each crash bar.

·
Super Moderator
19,149 Posts

If you mean the pieces that go from below the gas tank mid-point rearwards - I BELIEVE that you'd wear the paint off with your knees (UNLESS you covered the new paint with that clear paint protect film...).

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you mean the pieces that go from below the gas tank mid-point rearwards - I BELIEVE that you'd wear the paint off with your knees (UNLESS you covered the new paint with that clear paint protect film...).
It might but I'm going to try anyway. I'm going to give it a few shots of clear coat and see what happens. If it does rub off quickly I'll try the clear film. If it last for a while I can always repaint if necessary.

·
Registered
281 Posts
When you're done post pics. I'll bet that will really make the bike look sleek.
Here you go lanesplitter. I have more pics on another thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts