Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if anyone else has dimensions, please post. These are not the stock line dim's, but the lengths I want to have custom made since I can't find any good 2-line aftermarket lines. If you know of any, please post. I'm running ATV mid pro-tapers. Last time I checked, street & competition made up lines, but I'm looking for something local, first.

Rear- 18.5" center to center, with a 0 or 5 deg angle at the caliper end and a 45 deg angle at the brake cyl end
Front- 37" right side, 40.5" left side, all 0 deg ends except 1 line on the master cyl side should be 5 deg.

·
Registered
169 Posts
if anyone else has dimensions, please post....
I'm going through the same thing right now with the company I'm trying to order from. They're asking for banjo center to banjo center lengths and degree ends.

I was going to go home and measure but if someone already has the proper measurements that would speed up the process quite a bit.

Also, would there be any harm at using 12deg bends at the caliper?

Rear- 18.5" center to center, with a 0 or 5 deg angle at the caliper end and a 45 deg angle at the brake cyl end
Front- 37" right side, 40.5" left side, all 0 deg ends except 1 line on the master cyl side should be 5 deg.
What are the above measurements based from? Is this with the ATV bars?

Thanks Again Guys! If we can get a good set of measurements down it will be much easier for us to oder these from whoever in the future. I hope working with the guys at Starcycle will yield some fruit.

CC

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, this is with the ATV mids, which are about the same rise as stock, but a bit wider. should also work with ATV highs. the dimenensions were measured using a tape measure, but I'd double check them with a piece of stiff wire cut to those lenghts before it's cast in stone. I took the liberty of making the rear line a bit shorter, as it looks like there's a bit extra on that line between the swingarm clamp and the rear caliper.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I measured along the stock line to the right caliper. Look like 40.5 inches but I'll call it 41. Will send specs to the Starcycles guys and see what happens.

- Line 1 - Master Cylinder (MC) to Right Caliper
Length: 41" MC Banjo: 0 deg Caliper Banjo: 5 deg

- Line 2 - Master Cylinder to Left Caliper
Length: 41" MC Banjo: 5 deg Caliper Banjo: 12 deg

CC

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you're getting the same length for both sides in the front? guess it's all in how you route them....

·
Registered
169 Posts
i measured right along the stock brake line. Take a very close look at the amount of slack it has and how it winds up.

Either way, the proof is in the pudding so we'll see! :)

CC

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I ordered a set of galfer lines from starcycle cuz I got a free full set of front pads with them (thanks for the heads up, Crazy Carl). it's the 1 line w/crossover setup, like stock. the main line is a bit long at 40 3/4" for the right side, but I can make it work on the left side, or on the right side w/ a lot of slop. the crossover line is ok.
the rear brake line is 21 1/4", way too long and w/ the wrong banjo on it. to starcycle's credit, I told them I wanted an 18 1/2" with a 45 on one end and a 5 on the other, and they said, " no prob, when we get it in, we'll ship it to you and you can use the call tag to ship yours back."

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
starcycle called me back today and said i had to take it up with galfer. so we'll see how that goes.
part # fk003d647r is supposed to be for the rear of the 08 V, so says the package, but when I zip tie it up next to the stock line, it's even longer. even on the stock line, I don't see why it needs that high loop near the caliper, when it's the m cyl side that needs flex. I'd stay away from that part #.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Tomla,

Sorry to hear about the rear line being too short. Has there been any news on the order in the past week or so?

The Starcycle guys had my lines custom fabbed and they seem to be okay at 41" with no worries about adding a higher bar. Are you following the same line route as stock?

My install photos and report on that are here:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26481&postcount=16

CC

·
Registered
699 Posts
The only thing I don't like about that set-up is that the lines don't have the braided stainless look to them. I realize that the performance is the important part of the equation not the look. But....I want my cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The only thing I don't like about that set-up is that the lines don't have the braided stainless look to them. I realize that the performance is the important part of the equation not the look. But....I want my cake and eat it too.
Plus you'll also save 10 bucks in the process!

CC

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey CC, the black lines look sweet. Robert, the line tech at Galfer is supposed to be making me a new set, that they'll send w/a call tag for my old ones. We'll see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, I'll send these back to *cycle and get a set like yours.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
galfer has apparently revised their Versys brake lines and will have a new part # out for them. They're sending me a new set and a call tag for the old ones. good customer service, I'd say. we'll see how the new lines fit up next week.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nah, the line tech is at daytona this week, so I couldn't talk to him, but Linette in cust. svc. told me about the revision. I'm assuming the rear is shorter, and the crossover in the front is shorter, but we'll see soon.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rec'd the revised galfer lines. the long front line is the same length, which works well if you connect it to the far side caliper, the crossover line is about an inch shorter, and the rear line is also about an inch shorter, with a 40 deg m/cyl end like the stock line. much better.
The customer service at galfer was good. yea, it took awhile, but Robert, the line tech, really made an effort, and Linette took care of business getting everything rolling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts