Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The top of the silencer chain side is rusted only 2000miles on the clock not stainless cheap mild steel by the looks of it.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Mine is showing no signs of rust. I do wipe it down from time to time with a rag and WD-40. It gets chain lube off in a flash & maybe leaves a protective layer??

WD-40 also easily gets the black carbon deposits off where the exhaust exits the muffler.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Rust will occur even on SUS if it not cleaned.

The silencer take quite a beating from chain oil and other stuff so you really need to keep clean otherwise you will see rust.

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
clean it every week even sprayed it with aircraft protector
What do you clean it with? Mine has only been washed twice since I bought it this summer with soap & water.

When I lube the chain, I wipe the muffler with WD & rag.

Maybe getting it wet every week is speeding up the process? Also, where is it parked? Outside will rust a bike faster than garage (as mine is parked).

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I clean it once a week with a car wash using Simoniz at present.
I also clean the chain with WD40 and lube with Castrol chain wax.

The silensor is well protected being under the bike out of the way, I maybe should take it of and paint it ,not what you should be doing to a nearly new bike

its parked in a garrage

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
The only different I see is your weekly cleanings. Maybe between the water and chemicals, something is eating at your muffler.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The top of the silencer chain side is rusted only 2000miles on the clock not stainless cheap mild steel by the looks of it.
For the most part, do you ride your bike pretty much every day, or does it sit for days at a time in between rides?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts