Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a two year old X. Got my mechanic to fit engine bars. These are by Givi and require the replacement of an engine bolt. The bolt was corroding quite badly. Bike has 3000 miles on the clock. He also checked the shock linkages and they were as dry as a camel's crutch. I shall be getting the bike winterized by All Year Biker to try and minimise further deterioration.

·
Registered
2013 v650
243 Posts
Coastal VA. Everything rusts or molds practically overnight. I took a bike to the Outer Banks and had to park it outside. One night and the cig power plug corroded to the point I had connection issues on my way home.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Coastal VA. Everything rusts or molds practically overnight. I took a bike to the Outer Banks and had to park it outside. One night and the cig power plug corroded to the point I had connection issues on my way home.
So true. Those of us living by the ocean need to take into account corrosion from salt in the air. Even in my garage. Particularly annoying is when it gets into electrical connections that I have done,like bullit connectors. Now I solder when I can and have some dialectic grease for future corrosion causing faulty connects. By the way,WD40 was originally inspired to deter rust on steel,it will help.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
To prevent rust don't store your bike outdoors. NEVER store your bike during the winter outside. Use a well-vented cover if you must store your bike outdoors during the riding season.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
I visit the Gulf Coast frequently for work. Many of the used bikes were owned by young military who have no choice but to park them outdoors. Crazy amount of corrosion on the bikes their. Between condensation, UV rays, and salt fog, the bikes get eaten up pretty quickly unless well cared for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts