Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking off the metal clips behind the turn signals of my 2015 and i had a thought. I searched the forum and only came up with the opposite of what I'm thinking. There are people that made the turn signals 2-filament running/turn signals, but I want to make the existing running lights turn signals and remove the factory turn signals altogether.

This is extremely preliminary, but I wanted the insight from y'all that know more than me before I get into it and run into a problem.

I'm thinking I would use a red LED bulb and just rewire the socket to the existing turn signal wiring. I have the accessory lights on it already and run them all the time, so I'm not too concerned about less visibility.

I think this would clean up the front end, and no more turn signals to worry about coming off.

·
Administrator
9,039 Posts
I was taking off the metal clips behind the turn signals of my 2015 and i had a thought. I searched the forum and only came up with the opposite of what I'm thinking. There are people that made the turn signals 2-filament running/turn signals, but I want to make the existing running lights turn signals and remove the factory turn signals altogether.

This is extremely preliminary, but I wanted the insight from y'all that know more than me before I get into it and run into a problem.

I'm thinking I would use a red LED bulb and just rewire the socket to the existing turn signal wiring. I have the accessory lights on it already and run them all the time, so I'm not too concerned about less visibility.

I think this would clean up the front end, and no more turn signals to worry about coming off.
I lost you at the bakery. Are you talking the city lights?? Keep in mind legal requirements, also safety, think about opposing traffic, not understanding why you are stopped, you intend to turn left.

Explain what you want and I can tell you how to do it. My bike is 100% LED

·
Administrator
9,039 Posts
Running Lights / Turn Signal / Using existing wiring

I kind of frown on redirecting to another forum. It is converting using custom dynamics turn signal module for a 2 wire signal to running and turn signal https://www.customdynamics.com/eclipze2-module

FYI I can do exactly that for $10. However there is mention that LED turn signal lights some have a 50% duty cycle. The current LED strips work without relays.
Some of the magic, upper left. 3 wire flasher and 2 of the 40 amp relays( no longer needed for the LED strip lights , but left in place)

·
Registered
2013 v650
213 Posts
If you have safety inspections where you are, look up the requirements for signal lights. I know mine they have to be a certain distance away from the headlight. Some inspectors might overlook it others won't.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I should have had a comma in there. "existing running lights, into turn signals".

So here in Ohio, I know of no particular law, at least that's enforced. The "city lights" I guess is what I was talking about. I want to remove the factory turn signals altogether and fabricate a block-off plate for them. Then wire up the city lights for LED turn signals. I had a tip over on my second day owing the bike and it popped the turn signal out and cracked the fairing. Since then, I was able to put the pieces back in with some good super glue and I have also removed the metal backing plates on the turn signals. I think it will look better without the turn signals sticking out like they do.

It may be easier to add shorter turn signals, I have seen posts on here about that, but I think this would be a little different.

Onewizard, With your bike on, why doesnt your headlight come on? did you add a switch?

·
Administrator
9,039 Posts
Polaris Option #2

Yea, I should have had a comma in there. "existing running lights, into turn signals".

So here in Ohio, I know of no particular law, at least that's enforced. The "city lights" I guess is what I was talking about. I want to remove the factory turn signals altogether and fabricate a block-off plate for them. Then wire up the city lights for LED turn signals. I had a tip over on my second day owing the bike and it popped the turn signal out and cracked the fairing. Since then, I was able to put the pieces back in with some good super glue and I have also removed the metal backing plates on the turn signals. I think it will look better without the turn signals sticking out like they do.

It may be easier to add shorter turn signals, I have seen posts on here about that, but I think this would be a little different.

Onewizard, With your bike on, why doesnt your headlight come on? did you add a switch?
As part of the series regulator upgrade, the headlight relay coil circuit needs to be removed from the tap on the 3 phase AC input to the regulator. I have my brake light as a trigger, so obviously I can run the bike with no headlight load, however notice my city lights and Denali LED lights are on. I no longer recommend this but updated my post on it , very first post https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/191-technical-discussion-how-posts-all-models/223215-polaris-install-2020-mk-1-2-4012941-regulator.html

This photo is the closest I have for my bike, although this photo I have the Osram 65 watt in the high beam location, I upgraded to the SafeGo LED that is in the low beam of this photo and also now in the high beam

This was done early March 2020 , I need more photos, notice the light spilling over from the BarkBuster LED strip lights onto the instrumentation

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chid, those angel eye headlights are pretty cool but I am thinking about just the city lights as turn signals. Has nobody done this? Maybe there is a reason to not do this but I think it would be a little neater without the turn signals sticking way out there...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yes, they are pretty cool ;)

You can try, but I think it doesn't have the same visibility as the OEM turn signal, as angle of visibility.
You can put a more powerful LED and see if you see them at the same angle.

Another thing might be that the distance from the center of the bike is too small and it would confuse the driver.
Especially that Versys has the "cyclop" headlight.

try it with both for a while and see if you can remove the OEM after a while....

·
Administrator
9,039 Posts
Added Photo Post#2

Chid, those angel eye headlights are pretty cool but I am thinking about just the city lights as turn signals. Has nobody done this? Maybe there is a reason to not do this but I think it would be a little neater without the turn signals sticking way out there...
If you look at my post 2 last photo , you can barely make out the city light, that is a Philips LED city light, it needs to be yellow, secondly I doubt anyone 90' to you could see it, and if you got into a accident, almost guarantee you would be charged with driving a unsafe vehicle, just like removing those reflectors, required by law, your insurance may be null and void, trust me, adjusters look for anyway out, my neighbor is a adjuster, she uses all kinds of tricks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts