Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What rpm does the bike begin charging? I'm sure at idle it's negative but not sure where it goes positive.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
With no extra electrically powered accessories, it's charging at full capacity at 1,300 rpm idle.

Charging voltage is much more stable with Compufire series type R/R. It varied by over 4 times as much and was also a bit excessive with stock shunt R/R at 14.65V~14.90V. It's now always between 14.38V and 14.44V (14.44V idle). :thumb:
Stator cover which used to be at 205F~219F is now at 184F~187F :clap: while left cylinder head is at 197F~204F... Stator cover temperature is now more stable at about 26F cooler on average, and up to about 32F cooler. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With no extra electrically powered accessories, it's charging at full capacity at 1,300 rpm idle.
That's interesting. I guess I'm used to the old days when at idle it was a negative. I'm not very technical. What does your other post refer to? Is that with a change of some part(s)? The idea of lowering temps sounds positive but I don't know how it was done. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Some of us have replaced the stock shunt type regulator rectifier for a Compufire series type regulator rectifier, to reduce load and heat in the stator and extend its lifespan... Shunt type R/R has the generator consistently operating at maximum output and shunting all unrequired current to ground. With a series type R/R, generator produces no more than what is needed and drawn.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16774

1 - 4 of 4 Posts