Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today (1/22/10) I went out with my local Dual Sport Group. Thirty-two riders all on dual sports 250's, KLR's, KTM's DR650's and 1200gs adventures. So I got a chance to ride my Versys on some rough rutted dirt and hard rock surfaced BLM roads. Felt like generally abusive to the bike and additionally bottomed out the front forks with hard smack/thud. I was glad to get back on pavement and now I know. In the future unless I know its a Graded dirt and or Graded gravel road I'll ride my KLR.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yep got to do a few mods to get the bike to that level of riding and even then if you own a KLR its best suited for that type of riding. That 19 inch front wheel makes a world of difference.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Today I went out with my local Dual Sport Group. Thirty plus riders all on dual sports 250's, KLR's, KTM's DR650's and 1200gs adventures. So I got a chance to ride my Versys on some rough rutted dirt and hard rock surfaced BLM Land roads. Felt like abuse to the bike and bottomed out the front forks with hard smack thud. I was glad to get back on pavement. In the future unless I know its a Graded dirt and or Graded gravel road I'll ride my KLR.
You want to talk to a kiwi guy who recently bent his front wheel on some rough tracks riding with the same sort of bikes you were (ridgley1) $325 bucks later and he back in business.

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
Yep got to do a few mods to get the bike to that level of riding and even then if you own a KLR its best suited for that type of riding. That 19 inch front wheel makes a world of difference.
And, FWIW, the 21" front on the KLR ... makes a world of difference...! :cool:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Love the Versys, wish I had ridden my KLR this day though.

FYI this VDO was recorded by a 68yo riding a R1200GS Adventure. This was a monthly winter ride with an easy route and had a good turn out.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Nice. Love that sound track. Just kind of fits real well with the ride even if there is a bit of a "Deliverance" note. As long as Ned Beattie isn't around.

·
Registered
203 Posts

FYI this VDO was recorded by a 68yo riding a R1200GS Adventure. This was a monthly winter ride with an easy route and had a good turn out.
NEVER, count out the old guys. Some of them (us) can still twist the throttle.

Even though it most likely wasn't intentional, I really like the effect of the shadow being in the foreground of the video. I kinda makes you feel like it's you riding. Made me want to lean into some of the curves and prepare for the ruts by standing up on the pegs. :yeahsmile:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No kidding. He's retired and gets more saddle time than anybody I know. He's rode the Great Divide and to Purdue Bay plus, plus.

NEVER, count out the old guys. Some of them (us) can still twist the throttle.

Even though it most likely wasn't intentional, I really like the effect of the shadow being in the foreground of the video. I kinda makes you feel like it's you riding. Made me want to lean into some of the curves and prepare for the ruts by standing up on the pegs. :yeahsmile:

·
Registered
8 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN8TTnK5Pd8

While a portion of this ride was in my back yard, Knoxville Berryessa, I do not recognize the County roads, which county were they in?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
1 - 11 of 11 Posts