Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Loving my Versys 1000 SE LT so far.
Getting close to the 600 mile service on it but the idle seems off to me when the engine is warm. It almost sounds like the cams are modified, similar to a drag car. (First thing that comes to mind when I hear the idle.) Seems to go back and forth between this rougher sounding and smooth idle. Is this normal?
I've attached a video.
When the engine is cold it revs smoothly around 2k then when it gets warm it drops to about 1.3-1.5k idle.

Versys 1000 Idle

Thanks!
Felipe

·
Registered
2017 V1K
79 Posts
My 2017 V1K idles at 1000 rpm when warm and is very smooth both cold and warm.
Maybe your throttle bodies need syncing? I would definitely have the dealer look at it. That does not sound normal to me.

Reactions: Medinja

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2017 V1K idles at 1000 rpm when warm and is very smooth both cold and warm.
Maybe your throttle bodies need syncing? I would definitely have the dealer look at it. That does not sound normal to me.
Thanks for your input! Gonna take it to the dealer this Saturday and get the whole first service done. Hopefully it's a quick and easy fix.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for your input! Gonna take it to the dealer this Saturday and get the whole first service done. Hopefully it's a quick and easy fix.
Let us know what the dealer says.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alrighty, so the dealership did my first maintenance this Saturday. Went over everything, changed the oil, etc. When I told them about the idle they said there isn't really anything to do since modern bikes are all controlled by it's computer. There's not anything to adjust really since the ECU is making sure there is enough fuel and air getting mixed per cylinder.
If there was a bigger issue then you will definitely hear it and the bike would not run properly. As long as it doesn't stall and it rides fine then there shouldn't be anything to worry about.
Maybe I'll take it somewhere else to get it checked. It's true that it doesn't stall and acceleration, maintaining speed, and engine breaking all feel right. No jerkiness or lag from my inputs. Just got to be more aware of any changes for now I guess.

·
Registered
2017 V1K
79 Posts
I'm no expert, but seems to me the computer can only adjust for the inputs it is receiving and sensors can give faulty data.
I would guess also that there are limits to the adjustments the computer can make to compensate for either faulty input data or out of sync TB, etc.
Bottom line, I think you had the misfortune to be paired with a lazy and/or misguided mechanic.
I would seek out a second opinion.

Reactions: Craigar

·
Registered
430 Posts
I agree with Grumpy. Go get a second opinion. Always trust your gut. That’s your hard earned cash,

·
Registered
688 Posts
but isn't your idle adjustable? there is a screw on the right side of the bike. V1 should be around 1100 rpm (V650 1300 rpm). when it is warming up, the rpm drops a little. but it should never go below 1000.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I didn't see what year your bike is, I assume it's newer than 2018, which presents an issue because to my knowledge the ecu's haven't been cracked on the newer model 1000's. That said, my personal bike is a 2015, and it does, well did, exhibit a hunting idle, with nothing wrong from inputs, vacuum leaks, etc. It really aggravated me and I put a lot of time into tuning to stop that. It got really bad with an aftermarket header, and would be the same with a decat link pipe. Other customrs have confirmed and complained of the same issue. My bike no longer idle hunts, and no customers report it with my tuning. But yeah, it exists, don't buy that crap the dealer is telling you that the 02 sensor will fix it, it won't. And until somebody cracks the later model v1000's I think you're going to be stuck with it.
PS... based on market response to flashing the earlier v1000's... I don't think there's any compelling reason for a company to crack the later ecu's. That requires time and knowledge, and the idea is that sales will make it worthwhile. That hasn't been the case for the earlier models, so no compelling reason to crack the later models.
Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts