Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the first bike I have owned. I've ridden friends bikes a few times over the years. All that being said I hear a lot of chain noise from my new 11V. I'm not sure if this really is "a lot" of noise, or if it just normal for the V. My wife says it sounds like a piece of paper caught somewhere rubbing.

I've done a visual inspection looking for anything and it's all clean and clear. The chain is the proper tension and it has been lubricated twice already (only 400 miles on it). I recently had the rear sprocket changed to a 43T and it has not affected the amount of noise.

When I have helmet and ear plugs in it is not loud enough to hear above 15mph. I really only notice it in parking lots or traveling through my subdivision.

Am I just being paranoid and all of this is normal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
770 Posts
With a good alignment the chain and sprockets will bind less. I find the marks on the rear are useless for alignment. Also chain slack should be set to around 3cm (between 2.5 and 3.5cm) according to the owners manual. Too tight and it is hard on the sprockets and bearings, too loose and it flogs the chain. Also check the chain is well lubed. If you have much wear on the sprockets with a 2011 bike it could be the chain is set incorrectly and has caused premature wear.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My guess is that it's probably normal. Chains just plain make a lot of noise!

If you're riding next to a hard surface or something else that can bounce the sound of the chain back at you, it can be especially noticeable.

GDI

1 - 3 of 3 Posts