Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Even for someone who has motocamped for many years, it's good to have a 101 refresher. (Takes the edge off winter, too.)

·
Registered
409 Posts
What a great story! That writer must be a genius...

Oh wait, Mt. Versuvius already outed me.

Yeah, that's me. Expect to see a lot of the Versys on Accelerate because it's my official Kawasaki photo mule.

·
Registered
442 Posts
What a great story! That writer must be a genius...

Oh wait, Mt. Versuvius already outed me.

Yeah, that's me. Expect to see a lot of the Versys on Accelerate because it's my official Kawasaki photo mule.
The writer should try a hammock, underquilt and tarp. He'd forget all about tents. :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
underquilt?

i have a hammock with a fly, use it with a sleeping bag. what's the underquilt?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I used to camp a lot but now I just rough it.

Motel 6 style.:D

·
Registered
409 Posts
The writer should try a hammock, underquilt and tarp. He'd forget all about tents.
The writer spent a few nights sleeping in hammocks years ago when he lived much closer to the equator and didn't need no stinkin' underquilt. Unfortunately, the writer is, ahem, more mature now, and gets a raging backache if he sleeps in a hammock these days.

Still, I seriously wanted to mention the hammock alternative because it can help achieve the key goal of packing light, but I had to stick to an assigned word count (you know how short people's attention spans are on the interwebs) and I eventually decided to leave it out.

Definitely a good alternative for those with more flexible vertebrae than I have, however.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I very rarely throw compliments around about equipment. Two thing I would not go camping without are Thermarest self inflating camping pad. I have had that thing for 25 years. I finally put a small whole in it last year found the leak patched it figure it will go another 25. Second thing are ROK straps nothing better for securing your gear.

·
Registered
813 Posts
+1 on the therma rest.. or if you got the money for it, try the Big Agnes sleeping pads, they run around 100 bucks, but they pack up super small, and are very warm.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Love the write up. I recognized the sign to World's End state park. I have been there many times. Some really great roads in that area.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Anyone else notice that the ground has gotten a LOT harder of late? Thirty years ago it wasn't nearly so hard. Hmmmm....

Thermarest pads are awesome. I can do the hammock thing for a long nap but more than an hour or so and the back and hips seize up.

·
Registered
442 Posts
underquilt?

i have a hammock with a fly, use it with a sleeping bag. what's the underquilt?
Seek here and ye shall find more than you will ever need to know:
Hammock Forums underquilt subforum. Will save you a lot of contortions getting in and out...avoiding CBS...cold butt syndrome.

Tired of crawling in the mud or is the ground feeling harder these days?
Hammock Forums home page may be the place for you. For anyone wanting to explore the idea of hammock camping and loads more. Very knowledgeable and helpful folks reside there.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'm thinking the best deal is to send someone ahead with the car and all the stuff, have them set up camp, build the fire, circle the chairs, and have dinner and drinks ready to go.:goodidea:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Second thing are ROK straps nothing better for securing your gear.
Actually this should be first, the Thermarest second, cuz a lost Thermarest will do you no good:)

+1 on the ROK straps.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm thinking the best deal is to send someone ahead with the car and all the stuff, have them set up camp, build the fire, circle the chairs, and have dinner and drinks ready to go.:goodidea:
:badidea:Sometimes a car can't get where we're going:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I appreciate your effort General Kawasaki Versys Discussions. I recognized the sign to World's End state park. I have been there many times. Some really great roads in that area love the write.
==================
caravan parks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Excellent article- by coincidence, I went to REI at lunch today looking for equipment for motorcycle camping. I got bored over the weekend and did a test "camping load" on my Versys. I was surprised how much I could haul in the Givi V35's and my Cortech tail bag. I still need a smaller tent, bed roll and sleeping bag. Most of my stuff is for car camping with the family. You don't give space much consideration when you can just throw it in the back of the pick up and head out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts