Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Felt like a 'ride' might be a GOOD thing yesterday, so I 'suited-up', then mounted BIG RED and started riding E, then N, and E again on Arizona Farms Road to AZ 79.

Along Arizona Farms Road there's (I've been told) a stage-coach stop from "way-back-when" on a fellow's farm. Never been thru it, but yesterday I took some pics to share w/ you. Here, looking E

IMG_1197 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1196 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and from the other side facing W.

IMG_1197X by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I don't know for sure the name of the 'stage-line', but it would not surprise me if it's the Butterfield Stage, as it had a pretty good presence in AZ!

Then I turned E on US 60 - I've mistakenly referred to US 60 as AZ 60 previously - then rolling toward, and then past - Picketpost Mountain - named for the US Cavalry's use of it to 'picket' soldiers to watch for hostile Indians there. Here is Picketpost Mountain coming into view.

IMG_1198 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1199 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1200 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Just down the road a few miles is Superior, AZ.

IMG_1201 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As a member of a 'hiking club', I have hiked all over this area, and heard many tales. One is that the small round pieces of obsidian found around here are called "Apache tears", supposedly from the Apache women crying for their men who were forced to jump from the top of this line of mountains on the E side of town, killing them.

IMG_1202 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

FWIW - Mattie Blaylock, Wyatt Earp's common-law wife at the time of the "Gunfight at the OK Corral" is buried in the old cemetery across US 60, a bit N of town, and here's some pics I took some years back....

DSC01211 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC01208 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC01207 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

US 60 continues, thru a tunnel a couple of miles E from Superior.

IMG_1203 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1204 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

About the 'half-way' point to Globe, traffic was stopped where it appears that a flood had occurred,

IMG_1205 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1206 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

but also where they had replaced the old bridge across a creek w/ a new one. Here's a video of the "old" bridge coming down.

IMPRESSIVE use of dynamite...!

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I arrived in Globe I stopped at a Ceasars Pizza for lunch, then continued to the 'historic down town' to go to the 'Pickle Barrel Trading Post' which was NOT OPEN!

IMG_1209 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I've been here before, and it's CERTAINLY worth a look if you're ever here, but yesterday was NOT "the day".

IMG_1207 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1208 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Also a LOT of the historic district is CLOSED too till Thursday, so I stopped at an antiques-store, and chatted w/ the old fellow running it.

IMG_1210 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I didn't buy anything, but I WAS thinking about the old pair of 'cowboy chaps' he had for $20...!

Here I am as "tail-end-charley" where the road-work was happening over the Pinto Bridge, but NOT for too long

IMG_1211 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

this pile of tailings from a copper-mine, across the US 60, on the N side.

IMG_1212 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

My ride continued W, w/ a stop for gas in Superior, then over Gonzales Pass

IMG_1213 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and a view w/ thru Phoenix air pollution.

IMG_1214 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Several miles W I turned N to ride thru Queen Valley, a pretty nice little road (AND town!)

IMG_1215 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

to a nice little place to rest a bit (just before US 60), and where I would get back onto AZ 79.

IMG_1216 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1217 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I pulled into my garage after five hours of riding and just "killin' time", having ridden 125 miles

IMG_1219 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

getting CLOSER to turning ONE HUNDRED...!

IMG_1220 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

NICE day for riding.

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Looks like you had a nice day of riding. I certainly miss riding this time of year down in AZ. But I will have to live vicariously through you now. Good to see Big Red getting close to 100K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts