Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rode around snake near Rockstore California... Picture from a photographer on the side of the road... He takes pictures and sell them on his WEB site...

I scraped the tip of my shoe, too bad he didn't get it on camera... I need to tuck in my boots more... :)

Another picture on a straight away...

Some other pictures

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice pics bro...I love and miss those roads!
Yeah! Very nice curvy road and pretty clean most of the time!

Meet Jay Leno at RockStore a few times this year! :)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm living in Palm Desert at the moment and travel Hwy 74 on my Versys, a great twisty road. Would like to add the Snake and Rockstore, excuse my ignorance, but where is this-long way from me?

Machog

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Mac - maybe on your way home. The Rock Store is on Mulholland hwy, north of Malibu, between hwy 1 and 101.

Lots of great canyons in that area - Topanga, Malibu, Latigo, Piuma (aka Mulholland Raceway) and probably a few more I can't remember right now. Best ridden mid-week or early on weekend days before all the squids (not to mention slow car traffic) show up. ;)

Gustavo

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LA,

Badass photos, great looking V. How goes it, any luck finding work? The Best 2 ya, GV09
Thanks for asking... I was not able to find the IT job that I used to do, I just passed Life Agent (combo) test today at downtown LA... I will be doing life insurance, 401k, 401k roll over and so on... Let's hope I do well changing field... :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm living in Palm Desert at the moment and travel Hwy 74 on my Versys, a great twisty road. Would like to add the Snake and Rockstore, excuse my ignorance, but where is this-long way from me?

Machog
If you plan to ride here... Plan to spend a day here and ride up and down all the canyon roads around here!

I rode to Palm Desert before, distance wise is around 100+ miles for u to get here... But it's worth it...

Ride safe though, lots of crashes here for people that ride beyond their skills... :)

Like Gustavo said, weekdays are better... Weekend is not that bad either compare to lots of other canyons... You only get your pictures taken on Sat and Sunday... :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Cool pictures.
utube vid:
I remember the days (197somthing) of riding Encinal Canyon in Malibu on skateboards with my buddies. My dad had hours logged in of following behind us to haul us back up to the top to do it all over again. Good Fun.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Wow, checked out youtube crashes on the snake. What a show that looks like. Where is that strech of Mulholland? I used to live on Mulholland 30 years ago near the coast but I never have heard of the "snake". And back then I was riding dirt bikes, you can go from Mulholland, to Decker, to Encinal canyons all on old fire roads (As long as you have some wire cutters in your pocket).
From the looks of things I'd probebly stay away from that place on the weekends, what a zoo. (Which is pretty much why I left Cali)
I'd be interested in why so many people are low siding, technique wise that is. Seems like a lot of riders need to learn how to turn there bikes.
pmac

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
754 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
x2...anybody out there know whats up with all the lowsiding...anybody?
Looked to me like it's mostly bad "road reading" before that turn. It's sharper than most people seem to think - they come in too hot, stay off the gas in the turn scrubbing speed, this causes them to lose clearance and hit something solid (listen to those vids again) which makes them lose traction and off they go. It's interesting that even the guy in the R1 in one of the vids scrapes something in that turn. So you may want to add inappropriate riding technique to the road reading problem. At least that's what it looks like from the angle those vids are shot...

Gustavo

·
Registered
288 Posts
Once I listened to the sound on the guy with the white R1 that one was cleared up. Listen to his throttle control, he is cutting the gas on & off all the way through the corner. Asking for trouble with bad throttle control.
The guy in the yellow jacket that went over the rail had a bad line into the corner and then locked up the back break in a panic.
Some of the others seem to just fall over for no reason in mid corner.

pmac

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think the road is a little more off camber there than guys are anticipating. My first time going that direction in that turn, taking it really easy, I scraped a toe and was pretty surprised by that. I think those guys are suddenly finding themselves hard on a peg, and then the rear wheel unweights and comes around. There are far better and more fun turns on that road, but that's where the Rockstore Photo guy shoots so some folks want to "look fast" going through there. But even the photo guy says on his site there's no need for too much speed through there, it will still look good in the pics!

·
Registered
754 Posts
I know, it must be a combination of camber, speed and panic...even though theres a couple of guys that have the back end come around on them. This one guy on the white R-1 is really lucky he didnt get pitched over the high side! And these are all either entering or going through this same corner...that dirt must be full of all kinds of plastic bits!:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkalHQ6eRVw&feature=related

1 - 20 of 24 Posts