Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, has anyone had experience with road tyres (Dunlop as come standard on a new Versey 650) on the dirt. Is there any advantage in dropping the pressure to get more grip. Drop to say 18psi. I may fit road/trail tyres at some point but at the moment I got what it came with.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've ridden dirt bikes a time or two in my life, and had no problems running on dirt, decomposed gravel, etc. The first couple of times I took the Versys on gravel roads I was puckered up pretty good, and was lucky to go over 5MPH in corners. (did not want to air down as I had Highway riding too).

If you go slow, stay relaxed and don't tense up, you should get a feel for the bike and tires pretty quickly. I ran a 30 mile forest road last fall (with slightly more aggressive tires), and had a blast on the entire trip. Looking to do more gentle exploring this summer and fall :)

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dry is the key, as well as hard pack. I crept into some loose gravel a couple weeks ago and the tires go wherever it is that the gravel leads them. I turned around within about 50 feet. factory tires are "street" tires. Too much off road and you may get a hard lesson on why they are meant for the street.

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts
I've ridden quite a few miles of dirt on 'street' tires, and as long as you ride carefully, it works OK, but I run dirt-oriented rubber now on both my Vs.

BTW - I do NOT air-down, EVER, so as to protect the rims, and I run 36F 42R.

:welcome:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Depends on your experience I grew up riding dirt roads and have no issue with riding gravel roads on road tyres. In this photo I had a Michelin PR2 on the rear and the OEM Dunlop on the front and was cruising along at up to 100 km/h in spots. Full air pressure BTW

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Dry is the key, as well as hard pack. I crept into some loose gravel a couple weeks ago and the tires go wherever it is that the gravel leads them. I turned around within about 50 feet. factory tires are "street" tires. Too much off road and you may get a hard lesson on why they are meant for the street.
Have you been on the road over to Tooele across the Oquirrhs and past the mine overlook? That's one of the roads I want to explore this season. There are several up the Wasatch near Ogden which look fun. All dirt, winding up to the ridge line. Are the stock tires up to those conditions?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts