Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that the top clamp on the riser of my bike has a hairline crack:

Has anyone else had an issue like this? I'll be taking it to the local dealer to get a warranty claim going tomorrow...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Non structural, it can still be used, if you wanted to. Most likely cause of this is uneven tightening/torquing.

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
I think it IS structural. In a HARD stop you MIGHT have your handle-bars 'rotate', which is NOT good....

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would not call that a hairline crack. I would say it's total breakdown of molecular cohesion - broken. Nothin' a piece of beer can under a few wraps of duct tape won't cure.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
It looks like is totally separated.... brrrrrrrrrr
casting problem??
warranty.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think it IS structural. In a HARD stop you MIGHT have your handle-bars 'rotate', which is NOT good....
It isn't. Most clamps are not a solo piece, but rather two pieces. The clamping mass between the bolts at top to bottom of each side is all that is important.

It isn't a hairline crack, but rather a brake~

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
super glue

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like is totally separated.... brrrrrrrrrr
casting problem??
warranty.
That's an extreme close up, it's barely noticeable with my eyes. I couldn't ride today due to rain, but it's going to the dealership (hopefully) tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Don't ride your bike until it is fixed if you have a self preservation instinct. It is a complete break in the casting probably due to a flaw in the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I went into the dealership today and told them about it. They are ordering the part in and will contact me when it gets here. I mentioned it's a warranty claim, but they didn't seem to take down any information other than my name and phone number, I hope they don't try to charge me for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts