Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days back I went on my FIRST fall of '16 ride, covering just SHY of 100 miles, temps running about 96F.

I headed to Florence, then S on AZ 79 to the Florence-Kelvin Hwy, turning E on it. It's now paved for around 19 miles, then a nice dirt road, LOTS to see. I stopped where the first good view of the tailings, etc become visible.

I continued, getting a few more pics

including these "saguaro mailboxes"....

Soon I turned left onto AZ 77, arriving near these tailings

then a few miles further N, the Ray Mine, open-pit and 1.5 x 2.5 miles (according to a sign).

Here's the S end,

and here's the N end.

It was getting HOT, so I headed N to Superior, turned W to join AZ 60 and then at Florence Junction turned S onto AZ 79.

Got home to a FROSTY beer (or three...:wink2:) after three hours and 99.6 miles.

GOOD ride...!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Great ride to start the winter migration

·
Registered
443 Posts
Welcome Back Fast Eddie. Looks like a fun ride and yes, that mine is huge. Still hot for much mid day riding. We will work on a morning run to Florence in the next 1-3 weeks to meet you for the worlds best donut. See you then, Chuck

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great ride to start the winter migration
Thanks, Al.

Welcome Back Fast Eddie. Looks like a fun ride and yes, that mine is huge. Still hot for much mid day riding. We will work on a morning run to Florence in the next 1-3 weeks to meet you for the worlds best donut. See you then, Chuck
Look forward to it Chuck...! BTW - THAT is the 'dirt-ride' I had (have) in mind for YOU....

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Great Scott, that is one humongus, ginormous hole in the ground. Could it be the entrance to the underworld? Always thought it might be in Arizona.

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great Scott, that is one humongus, ginormous hole in the ground. Could it be the entrance to the underworld? Always thought it might be in Arizona.
Here's pics of the Morency Mine, at the 'bottom' of AZ 191 near Safford, and it's WAY-Y-Y bigger...!

>:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts