Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Vrooming on a 2019 Versys 650
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fog horns and condensation kicked off this morning on two wheels until the Seattle ferry (to Bainbridge Island) reached the edge of West Seattle, and the weather lifted like a bad spell to reveal an unseasonably warm and sunny day.

Traffic on the peninsula was quieter than its normal, already quiet self...

Just a short birthday ride with @dbmccrohan and another friend—including a nice lunch over the water in Port Townsend before heading home via the Kingston Edmonds ferry. Never a bad way to kickoff a Sunday.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Nice. Looks like a great time.

I rode in the clouds on the Blue Ridge Parkway once on my Ninja 650. That was the only time I was glad my bike had emergency flashers. We could only go 30 mph and I had to put on my polarized sunglasses to discern where the pavement ended and the sky started. A miserable, but memorable ride.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I rode in the clouds on the Blue Ridge Parkway once on my Ninja 650. That was the only time I was glad my bike had emergency flashers. We could only go 30 mph and I had to put on my polarized sunglasses to discern where the pavement ended and the sky started. A miserable, but memorable ride.
I love this description...miserable but memorable. Glad you made it out safe and had that experience...sounds kinda interesting, to be honest (easy for me to say from the comfort of my house, right?)

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
When I retired as an airline pilot, I was certified to "ZERO/ZERO". Meant I was OK as long as other items were also, to 'oversee' the Airbus 330 or 340 to auto-land w/ NO visibility, NO ceiling (fog ON THE GROUND!). Once the landing 'roll-out' was complete, the HARD WORK began - taxiing to the parking gate.

My 'fave' for that was London Heathrow, because the controllers had you on GROUND RADAR, and would illuminate the lights ahead just as you came up to them, leading you 'home'. (y)(y)

On a car or motorcycle? NOT IN THIS LIFETIME...! o_O

(n)(n)

·
Registered
145 Posts
The fog on our ride wasn't that bad... around here it tends to be patchy, collecting in the valley bottoms and along the sound. Once we left Kingston we were in good viz and Port Townsend was CAVU. Mt Baker could be seen from numerous points on the ride. IMO the riding on the west side of Puget Sound is sooo much nicer than here on the east side in "Pugetopolis".

-dm

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I retired as an airline pilot, I was certified to "ZERO/ZERO". Meant I was OK as long as other items were also, to 'oversee' the Airbus 330 or 340 to auto-land w/ NO visibility, NO ceiling (fog ON THE GROUND!). Once the landing 'roll-out' was complete, the HARD WORK began - taxiing to the parking gate.

My 'fave' for that was London Heathrow, because the controllers had you on GROUND RADAR, and would illuminate the lights ahead just as you came up to them, leading you 'home'. (y)(y)

On a car or motorcycle? NOT IN THIS LIFETIME...! o_O

(n)(n)
Absolutely amazing. Love this story!

·
Registered
475 Posts
One of my favorite places to visit when I go see my brother in Silverdale. I usually go in the summer, when the weather is nice and sunny, though.🌞

·
Registered
14 Posts

I remember one of those miserable 118 miles in one day of a soaking rain and fog. It was very memorable two days of rain, then it was beautiful the rest of the 3500, 12 day camping trip.
Motorcycle Fender Stone wall Sidecar Scooter
Plant Atmospheric phenomenon Mist Evergreen Split-rail fence

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts