Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year I ride up to Big White ski area, about 70 kms from my home, soon after I return from AZ. I stop for a hot chocolate, then return home.

This year I rode up the LATEST I've done the ride, on the 25th April. I rode thru snow flurries BOTH going UP as well as going DOWN, and you HAVE TO BE CAREFUL due all the sand/snow mix on the road. Here's what the resort looked like (you can see snow flurries in the distance).

HAD to wash the GREEN HORNET TOO again when I got home (and thank God for heated gear...!).

·
Registered
970 Posts
I used to ride up to Artists Point (Mt Baker, Washington) the first weekend after it opened. That was usually sometime around mid-July. I rode in the snow frequently when I rode dirt bikes. Part of the fun of off-roading.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Conditions like that would convince me to roll out the Spyder RT-S and have a blast. Skidding and balance? No worries about balance, and skidding is actually a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts
My little brother called me from Minnesota last night said it was 27 degrees and snowing as he was headed to the airport to fly back to Texas...

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Your lucky to live in such a beautiful area. Just wondering what tires you are using and how they worked for the conditions.

Looks like my early spring riding in early April/late March in Ottawa when I put the bike on the road before the snow cover has completely melted. Lots of sand, dirt and grit left on the road and the roads are always wet with melt.

I've found a big difference in tires in these cooler and wet conditions, I guess depending on which rubber compounds they utilize. I was surprised when I installed my Continental Conti Motions as they are slippery as heck in these cooler and wet conditions, in the warm and dry though their fine. Also I've found, Adventure/tour tires like the Pirelli Scorpions, with their deeper tread grooves, were less effected by sand, dirt and gravel on pavement than smoother tires.

·
Super Moderator
19,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your lucky to live in such a beautiful area. Just wondering what tires you are using and how they worked for the conditions....
Shinko E705s, F (120/70) and R (150/70), running 36psi F, 42psi R.

BTW - they ARE rated "MUD & SNOW".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts