Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an unusually pleasant, long spring, it's HOT IN HOUSTON!!!! (Texas)

I bought my gently used 08 w/12K miles a couple months ago and have enjoyed several rides but . . . man . . . the heat here literally sucks the life out of you!

As much as I'd like to take some full day rides, I'll have to settle for early morning and back by noon rides. And of course, the down side to that kind of riding is you can't get very far!

At the ripe, young age of 56, I'm old enough to know better than to ride past a certain point (both miles per day and temperature wise.)

Back when I was in my late teens, when I DID want to prove something (looking back, I was PROVING how dumb I was) I ventured out on a west Texas ride from Houston to Carlsbad Caverns in mid August. It was so freaking hot!

I remember on the return leg of the ride, I pulled in to a gas station to fill up (this was back when THEY pumped the gas,) I pulled off my full face helmet, sweat streaming down my face, and asked the guy, "What time does it start to cool off around here?" His very matter of fact response with a heavy Spanish accent, "Last night, at 10 o'clock, she was 110 degrees."

I got back on the bike, full tank of gas, and continued. You couldn't tell the tears from the sweat coming down my cheeks!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
On my trip last July across the plains from Florida to Montana and back it was HOT every day. I did my research... mostly on the ADV Forum and here is what I did:
- All synthetic garments - underwear and outerwear. They all wicked sweat off the skin and up to be evaporated. Socks too!
- Geigerrig water system (kind of like a step up from Camelbak in that you can pressurize it and it squirts a strong stream of water).
- Chilly Pad around my neck which I kept wetted down (along with my T-Shirt) with my Geigerrig, between fuel stops.
- Mesh One-Piece suit (Olympia Stealth)
I emptied at least two or three Geigerrig fill-ups each day... mostly by drinking... to keep myself hydrated.
I was 65 when I did my trip and all my prep paid off with a 19 day trip of a lifetime and although I was in 100+ heat nearly each day, my prep made the heat mostly a non-issue.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
You might consider getting an evaporative vest. Cycle Gear and several other outlets sell them and reviews seem to indicate they work pretty well.

By the way, it's hot here in San Antonio as well. Don't know about global warming but Texas warming is alive and well. :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
On my trip last July across the plains from Florida to Montana and back it was HOT every day. I did my research... mostly on the ADV Forum and here is what I did:
- All synthetic garments - underwear and outerwear. They all wicked sweat off the skin and up to be evaporated. Socks too!
- Geigerrig water system (kind of like a step up from Camelbak in that you can pressurize it and it squirts a strong stream of water).
- Chilly Pad around my neck which I kept wetted down (along with my T-Shirt) with my Geigerrig, between fuel stops.
- Mesh One-Piece suit (Olympia Stealth)
I emptied at least two or three Geigerrig fill-ups each day... mostly by drinking... to keep myself hydrated.
I was 65 when I did my trip and all my prep paid off with a 19 day trip of a lifetime and although I was in 100+ heat nearly each day, my prep made the heat mostly a non-issue.

Nice pic. I used to have an air temp gauge on my bike until I saw it had maxed out one day. When it's that hot, I don't want to know. :devil: My policy these days is if it's 90 or higher when I'm getting ready to leave for work and/or riding at 6am, then I take the car. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts