Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2010 versys. Overheating generally not an issue but i will be travel through major city and traffic in what it looks like 98F or 37C. Idling for 30mins on a sun in 24C or 75F is enough for water temperature light to come on
I'm reading manual and from what I understand temperature light does not necessarily mean engine damage or overheating but flickering indicator of water temperature is and i would need to stop immediately. Is that right? I've just never seen indicator flickering
Font Screenshot Parallel Publication Document

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why are you idling for 30 mins? Is your commute uphill and you can't paddle-walk it when you get stuck in traffic?

I've never seen an overtemp indicator in ANY motorcycle I've owned, not even in 110F stopped at a long light. But then, I don't idle for extended periods.

Does the fan come on ever? Is the thermostat opening?

·
Registered
278 Posts
That does not seem right that the temperature indicator turns on when idling for 30 min at 24C/75F. The fan should kick in and prevent the temperature from going that high. The copy of the manual you provided states that if the over temperature indicator is on that the motor should be turned off. I've ridden in 104F/40C weather on a 2012 Versys many times and never saw the over temperature light go on. May want to do a thorough check of your cooling system.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why are you idling for 30 mins? Is your commute uphill and you can't paddle-walk it when you get stuck in traffic?

I've never seen an overtemp indicator in ANY motorcycle I've owned, not even in 110F stopped at a long light. But then, I don't idle for extended periods.

Does the fan come on ever? Is the thermostat opening?
Fan is on. Thermostat opening?
It's too awkward to paddle it sometimes with luggage, gear, and gap to next car
That does not seem right that the temperature indicator turns on when idling for 30 min at 24C/75F. The fan should kick in and prevent the temperature from going that high. The copy of the manual you provided states that if the over temperature indicator is on that the motor should be turned off. I've ridden in 104F/40C weather on a 2012 Versys many times and never saw the over temperature light go on. May want to do a thorough check of your cooling system.
Not sure what is wrong tho. All pipes replaced, mechanical seal fixed, fan is on, no gurgling sound, no leaks, plenty of coolant, coolant flushed twice recently and inspected by mechanic

Does it actually say do not run bike with indicator on? Says stop, cool down so you could check the coolant. Only do not run when indicator is flashing ( which I've never seen it hence I'm asking)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've meant the "notice" part on the next page. I assume it's the water indicator it's referring to

I think what's confusing you is imprecise word usage. It seems they're using 'goes on' and 'flashing' interchangeably. I wouldn't split hairs here, especially since any way you look at it, light on or flashing (or on/flashing meaning the same thing), you need to STOP THE ENGINE.

Think about this another way: I presume you've driven/ridden multiple vehicles in your life. On any of them, would you continue to operate the vehicle with the temp light illuminated? I mean, it's simply not a normal operating condition. I would guess that you'd pull over and anchor it immediately, and shut the engine off. That's what you should do here too. Don't overthink this. Temp light = STOP THE ENGINE.

If I'm wrong, and I can't imagine that I am, I have at least erred on the side of engine preservation.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fair enough, i get your point.

It's a bit weird. Basically, at 98f i come off motorway for rest stop and within seconds water temperature light comes on. Fan turns on as well i can feel and heat and see it in voltameter. Maybe mechanic fked up something when replacing mechanical seal

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your mechanic may have indeed messed up in some way. But repeatedly putting a machine into a condition in which a fault occurs, rather than prompt and thorough investigation after the first incidence, is on the operator.

Please, park it until it gets solved. If you haven't incurred engine damage yet, the chances go up with repetition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts