Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody using their Versys as a dual sport as in riding gravel forest roads? If you have took the plunge how much damage has it done to the cosmetics? I have a 2010 with a new Arrow pipe and can't bring myself to take it off the asphalt. I now have my Triumph Scrambler(another bike I can't bring myself to ride the gravel) for sale or trade for a dual sport of the ADV web site. I have had in the pass a DR650, KLR650, DRZ400 that I used for riding Arkansas gravel.
Life is short and I hate to do it but I may be getting another one of them. I also added to ad the XR650L, TE610, TE450, KTM 690 Enduro(these 4 will cost what the Versys cost:huh:

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
Your Versys will get dusty.
That's about it.

Well, unless you dump it in the gravel, but I haven't done that yet, so I can't speak from experience.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ride my 09 on gravel everyday. It's 20 miles round trip from my house to my shop and 16 miles of that is gravel. I did put a 120/90 on the front and run about 23-24 psi which helps a bunch! :thumb:
When I'm just out riding, I'm always looking for new gravel roads to ride.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I ride my 09 on gravel everyday. It's 20 miles round trip from my house to my shop and 16 miles of that is gravel. I did put a 120/90 on the front and run about 23-24 psi which helps a bunch! :thumb:
When I'm just out riding, I'm always looking for new gravel roads to ride.
Where do you live? It sounds very peaceful to and from work.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Which 120/90 tire do you use? Do you think that profile of the tire matters a lot, or is airing the tires down more significant?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Where do you live? It sounds very peaceful to and from work.
I live in southern IL. on a gravel road...lol. I have to ride about one mile in any direction to even get to a blacktop road. I can ride blacktop the rest of the way from there, but I almost always take the gravel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Which 120/90 tire do you use? Do you think that profile of the tire matters a lot, or is airing the tires down more significant?
I am using the shinko 705's now. I am more use to 21" front tires, and just didn't like the short factory front tire. I think it's a combination of the taller tire and lower air pressure for me. More rim protection to.

The factory low profile tire felt really weird to me under inflated, so I ran it at normal pressure and it was ok in the straights, but was a washout ready to happen at any kind of a turn in loose gravel :eek:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Not a problem - even without taking some pressure out of the tires. If you are used to dirt riding then you won't panic with a little twist and slide now and then - I even got bored and would kick out the back end (just a bit for fun)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts