Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Tuesday morning, a pal came to my place at about 0815, on his V-Strom 1000, to join me for a ride to the "Corkscrew" w/ another friend riding on his KTM 1290 Adv. We started over to meet the KTM, and 'got under way' 9ish from his place.

I started the ride by leading over several VERY twisty Kelowna roads, then across the bridge to W Kelowna, and onward to Peachland where we turned onto "Princeton Ave", which turns into a quite rough, rutted, pot-holed gravel/dirt 'road', MOSTLY ridden 'standing-on-the-footpegs', and ultimately joining w/ the "Summerland-Princeton" road. It TOO is very similar, but finally after an hour or so becomes paved thru 'cottage country', then down into Princeton and onto the Crowsnest Hwy - BC 6, heading E to Hedley. Stopped for 'supplies' in Hedley, then a couple of minutes E on BC 6 to the sign for the "Nickle-Plate Road" - the Corkscrew - climbing around 4,000 feet in elevation.

As I 'broke' my point-and-shoot camera a few weeks ago, and have to use a NIKON SLR which is not nearly as easy to use (OR carry!!!), I'll be using pics taken on an earlier ride to the Corkscrew.

Here's the GPS pic of the 'turns', followed by the road itself....

IMG_1398 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1393copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1397 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_1403 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Our 'lunch-stop', and here's the view looking W at the 'corkscrew'.

IMG_1409 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

From the lunch-stop, near the mid-point of the 'hill', the second half is around the same number of hair-pins, but not nearly as scenic, being mostly in the forest, but here's one of the mine, just before the 10 miles of dirt to the Apex Mountain Road, which is paved and a TREAT to ride.

IMG_1415copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

On the paved section I traded bikes w/ the KTM, and rode it down to the bottom. NICE bike, but I don't believe I want one.

From there it's just a pavement 'slog' back home, and I got there at 1600, 8.5 hours in the saddle, 338 kms start to finish.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wow, beautiful! Jealous out here in flat and straight Illinois. I laughed at the picture of the GPS telling you to "make a U-turn" haha. Made me think of this scene from The Office:

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...Wow, that looks like a challenging path to take. It seems like you own the place during this trip....
Believe it or not - BUT we had TWO cars come down while we were having the lunch-break (just REGULAR cars, NOT 4WD!), and some pick-ups from Telus going up to near the top of the 'Corkscrew' to repair a line.

The 'Corkscrew' is quite "do-able" IMHO, but you better have your 'sh*t-together', and your EYES OPEN!

I've ridden it w/ a passenger (twice I believe), but ONLY ONCE did I ever ride it DOWN (and swore that I'd NEVER go down it again)...!

THIS ride may have been my LAST 'Corkscrew' adventure, merely because it just wasn't as enjoyable as it has been in the past, and possibly my "advanced old age"....

:oops:

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I FINALLY replaced my "card-reader", so I can add a pic of the three of us at the "lunch-break" area half way up the FRONT (S side) of the Corkscrew. John (KTM) left, Ron (VStrom) middle, me on the right.

DSC_0024 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

NEXT - replace my busted Canon camera....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts