Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey :)

I've had my 2016 650 for a few months now and I live on an island with a maximum speed limit of 35mph however most roads are 25mph. It really isn't a fan driving 25 in third but was wondering if it's an issue using second so much? People drive slow here and even in 25mph zones you can averge perhaps 22mph. Is this normal?

I bought the Versys because I want something I can use locally but also go away to France or the UK with, I just didn't want a second bike.

·
Registered
677 Posts
25mph (40 kph)? heck I'm usually in 4th...!
no reason to beat and overheat engine at high rpms.
The only time I exceed 4000rpms is because I'm already in 6th.

·
Registered
2013 v650
223 Posts
I have 2 miles of 25 MPH to get out of my subdivision. I run it in 3 ed gear 25 to 30 MPH. I see no problem in running in 2 ed if you like the way it feels. Less than 25 and I would be in 2 ed also. My experience with the bike is it doesn't like to be lugged. When you get to go off island and can run faster you will find keeping the RPM up will give you a smoother ride and keep you in the power band better. Anything less than 3000 and it will be a real dog trying to accelerate.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It really isn't a fan driving 25 in third but was wondering if it's an issue using second so much? People drive slow here and even in 25mph zones you can averge perhaps 22mph.
Absolutely no issue riding slow speeds in 2nd gear. The bike has a 6 speed transmission so you can use the gear that best suits your needs.

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
Just a FYI , below 60KM/HR , your fan is doing all the cooling, in your case I would sell the bike, go electric. Also having the ECU flashed makes a huge difference, I have a 2015, before the flash, anything at or below 4000 RPM was terrible, I can now ride at 60KM/HR in 6th gear.

·
Registered
677 Posts
My experience with the bike is it doesn't like to be lugged. When you get to go off island and can run faster you will find keeping the RPM up will give you a smoother ride and keep you in the power band better. Anything less than 3000 and it will be a real dog trying to accelerate.
Not my experience. Torque is already 75% present at 2000 rpms (30lb vs the 40lb midrange) so I would disagree.

By smoother you'd have to mean strictly vibration-wise because in reality the higher the rpm the jerkier the ride. The front pops and dives even more and there is just too much power/compression to constantly manage.

My experience is that lower rpms (I don't mean <1500 where engine is hammering on load, I mean 2000-4000) give a much smoother ride precisely because in a band that has less power to make bad things happen like jerking, skidding rear or loosing front.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Just a FYI , below 60KM/HR , your fan is doing all the cooling, in your case I would sell the bike, go electric. Also having the ECU flashed makes a huge difference, I have a 2015, before the flash, anything at or below 4000 RPM was terrible, I can now ride at 60KM/HR in 6th gear.
Note: I often cruise at 60 kph in 6th and I don't have any ecu flash and it's very pleasant, definitely no jerking at all in 6th (way too tall for that)

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
Note: I often cruise at 60 kph in 6th and I don't have any ecu flash and it's very pleasant, definitely no jerking at all in 6th (way too tall for that)
I am not sure what year of bike you have, but there were enough of us owners 2015 -2016 650 that had the flash done and felt justified in doing it. I have absolutely no regrets, however my 2007 performed very similar to my 2015 after the flash.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I am not sure what year of bike you have, but there were enough of us owners 2015 -2016 650 that had the flash done and felt justified in doing it. I have absolutely no regrets, however my 2007 performed very similar to my 2015 after the flash.
I do have a 2015.

Before this week I was presuming some units must have sensitive variations in the main or sub throttle position sensors and actuators tuning. This week, a fair portion of jerkiness opinions is getting simpler to explain now that I read some people are operating in high rpms.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Riding in a lower gear makes sense, I do it a lot in built-up traffic areas. It can get you out of trouble far better than plodding along in 4th gear at 25 mph, also more engine braking. You won't hurt the bike at all, it's not as tho you're riding at 9000 rpm all the time.
Maybe the math says, "torque is already 75% present at 2000 rpm (30lb vs the 40lb midrange)" but my arse on the seat says that 40 ft/lb is one heck of a lot more than 30 ft/lb.
Rise it the way you feel most comfortable, it's your bike and, like everything in life, one size definitely does not fit all.

·
Registered
2013 v650
223 Posts
I have a Gen 2 2013 and riding at 2000 -3000 RPM at a steady state results in surging by the ECU. This is most noticeable in lower gears. This has been widely reported in this forum. It is why many have the ECU flashed on the Gen 3s. Bring the RPM up to just over 3000 and the surging goes away. Once you get up to speed keeping the RPM up a little keeps you into the power band and lets you have better acceleration and engine braking available. Do you have to be smooth on the throttle? Yes. If you are erratic with the right hand you will get a choppy ride, more so at lower gears.

Ride your bike how you like. The question was will it hurt the bike to run at a higher RPM at low speeds. The answer is NO. Is it advisable to ride on the rev limiter? Not unless you are on a race track. There is a happy medium where both the bike and you feel good. This spot is different for each rider and condition.

·
Registered
677 Posts
There must be thousands of versys 650 owners that don't speak about any issues whatsoever with the throttle. It's not because a few members have issues that every bike has issues nor that, if the issue exists, that it would be annoying enough to bother tending to for hundreds of dollars.

It's like the madstad windshield: it was a good buy, making me happy and I would never let it go, but that doesn't mean everybody has the need for it and I wouldn't plug it in every remotely related discussions because it's definitely too expensive for someone who doesn't have an issue to solve in the first place.

The question was if it hurts to run in 2nd? Boolean answer = Of course not.
And I gave the inconveniences of doing so.
Have a nice day.

·
Registered
82 Posts
25mph (40 kph)? heck I'm usually in 4th...!
no reason to beat and overheat engine at high rpms.
The only time I exceed 4000rpms is because I'm already in 6th.
the higher the rpm the jerkier the ride. The front pops and dives even more and there is just too much power/compression to constantly manage.

My experience is that lower rpms (I don't mean <1500 where engine is hammering on load, I mean 2000-4000) give a much smoother ride precisely because in a band that has less power to make bad things happen like jerking, skidding rear or loosing front.
Note: I often cruise at 60 kph in 6th
@dddd - I am not criticizing your riding style or personal preference for slow speed riding -to each their own- but am genuinely curious as to why you would own a 650 over a smaller, lighter bike? Wouldn't a 250/300 be far more economical and lighter for puttering around town?

·
Registered
81 Posts
There must be thousands of versys 650 owners that don't speak about any issues whatsoever with the throttle. It's not because a few members have issues that every bike has issues nor that, if the issue exists, that it would be annoying enough to bother tending to for hundreds of dollars.

It's like the madstad windshield: it was a good buy, making me happy and I would never let it go, but that doesn't mean everybody has the need for it and I wouldn't plug it in every remotely related discussions because it's definitely too expensive for someone who doesn't have an issue to solve in the first place.

The question was if it hurts to run in 2nd? Boolean answer = Of course not.
And I gave the inconveniences of doing so.
Have a nice day.
If anyone riding a 2015-2016 V650 does not notice that the low speed throttle handling sucks must be on their first bike ever, or they have super low expectations. I've got over 1,100,000 miles on motorcycles, and my 2016 V650 is by far the worst for slow speed throttle fueling I've ever had.

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
...If anyone riding a 2015-2016 V650 does not notice that the low speed throttle handling sucks must be on their first bike ever, or they have super low expectations. I've got over 1,100,000 miles on motorcycles, and my 2016 V650 is by far the worst for slow speed throttle fueling I've ever had....
You ARE correct, and you can either "live" w/ it, or get your ECU 'flashed' by Steve from Florida.

I have chosen to 'live' w/ it on my '15 V650LT, and I just don't ride around BELOW 3,000 revs.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I tried riding in lower gears, lower rpm today and it really sucks! No bike I've ever ridden with a 10,000 rpm redline is any fun below 3000 rpm. I consider that Versys abuse!
If I wanted to toddle along in a high gear at low rpm I'd get a fricken cruiser and join a gaggle of bros.

Not offering advice here- ride your V however you see fit.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The custom ECU flash does a lot more than allow you to ride cleanly at 2000 rpms. I’ve had many bikes over 56 years of riding and I’ve never had a bike as responsive as my 2016 LT is after the Shodaben flash. Completely smooth power delivery from 2000 rpm to redline. Part of the stumbling you’re encountering is the on/off fuel shutoff that many fuel injected bikes suffer from. This goes away with flash update. I’m not exaggerating, you will be amazed. Best add on to this bike by far!

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
If anyone riding a 2015-2016 V650 does not notice that the low speed throttle handling sucks must be on their first bike ever, or they have super low expectations. I've got over 1,100,000 miles on motorcycles, and my 2016 V650 is by far the worst for slow speed throttle fueling I've ever had.
I was going to do a multi-quote, commenting on dddd, however the process sucks. Reading the post by dddd it would seem that his intrepretation would imply that only certain 2015 and 2016 V's have this problem, yes if I never owned a 07 Versys I would be none the wiser . I find it hard to believe that certain V's would have a different flash in their ECU than others. I said before your money your choice. Here is another new thread, explain it. Throttle response from idle

·
Registered
677 Posts
I was going to do a multi-quote, commenting on dddd, however the process sucks. Reading the post by dddd it would seem that his intrepretation would imply that only certain 2015 and 2016 V's have this problem, yes if I never owned a 07 Versys I would be none the wiser . I find it hard to believe that certain V's would have a different flash in their ECU than others. I said before your money your choice. Here is another new thread, explain it. Throttle response from idle
Thanks for being understanding. It's appreciated.
I intend(ed) to remain objective and balance opinions.

As for the flash, well, it would more or less surprise me if it changed across countries. We already know california has it's own subtly different bike. Perhaps canada vs usa vs elsewhere are also different (not convinced though). But I would be more inclined to blame the mechanical aspects, like the throttle position sensors which, despite being said 'precisely' calibrated, could be off by few % here or there, thus leading to subtle change in behavior.

If it's not a mechanical fluke, then I'm going to end this by admitting that my experience with bikes has been limited to shadow 450, 2x ninja 650, versys 650 (gen2 and 3), tiger 800x and ninja 1000. I know it's not a lot, but nothing stood out of the ordinary throttle-wise to notice how different the versys might have been. Perhaps I'm expecting the power to come out quickly with a mere crack opening of throttle. I'd say I like it that way and I wouldn't want a sloppy throttle requiring me to twist the wrist wildly to get power. So in the end, this disagreement seems rooted in preferences, as always. So long (and thanks for all the fish!).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts