Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
I think speed cameras probably cause more accidents than if they just let people speed.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think speed cameras probably cause more accidents than if they just let people speed.
I agree, but in all honesty, the Police post gigantic signs (at least in the US) that clearly state "Speed Cameras Ahead". If you live in that area or see the sign, then just slow down for awhile or don't drive there.

It's a bit harder if your a tourist, but I know in DC/Virgina, there are a Ton of speed cameras. Anyone who lives there knows where they all are and you just have to be aware of your surroundings.

Most of the time theyare in populated areas so you really shouldn't be speeding that much anyway, its for safety :(

Good thing is, it's only a fine, no points, because its a Camera and not a cop. :)

·
Registered
901 Posts
Speed camera's make a lot of money over here.
And that's what its really all about....don't fool yourselves into thinking its for safety.

Speed cameras in the US should be considered unconstitutional as only the camera is witness to your crime and you can't face your accuser in court. There was a case recently that got over turned on just that premiss. Plus there is no proof as to who was driving the vehicle. that's why no points and just a fine....

·
Registered
539 Posts
In the UK it has become an epidemic. Cameras everywhere. Plus you can get points and a fine - as you must specify who was driving. They have all kinds too, not just static, but mobile and average speed cameras too.

·
Registered
859 Posts

I also think so.
We don't have them here yet but I'm sure road bandits that are the traffic police is going to love them.
When people (myself included) see the patrol they have all kinds of panic reactions even if they are within limits.
They robe citizens of a lot of money with the traffic laws and then it's all going into police money box instead the national treasury.
What bugs me is that they always do it with the pretext of 'Protecting us from ourselves, reducing accidents and regulating traffic'.

UK has been '1984' for quite some time now and it's scary.

·
Registered
378 Posts
We have plenty of them, and they are often considered "tourist taxing" machines. When you live close, you know where they are. When you ride a bike, you won't get a ticket from 99% of the German photo machines anyways, since they only take front photos (the legal procedure in Germany is to punish the driver, not the owner). No license plate in the front -> no ticket ;) Just don't overdo it.

Many handheld GPS units come with autoamatic warning functions included over here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts