Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just read the Rider shootout of the V-Strom 1k, FJ-09, and V1K. For those not interested in details, the V1K won.

The FJ-09 was a surprise. Most journos have fawned over it. Not these guys. They trashed the soft suspension, buzzy engine, unusable high power mode, lack of slipper clutch, lack of luggage rack, and smaller fuel capacity than its competitors.

The V-Strom was given more love. And if you want to ride off road with some regularity, the article would lead you to pick it. Enginewise, it hangs with the V1K to about 7k rpm. IOW, there's plenty of mojo. It got dinged for lack of handguards, centerstand, and under engine protection. Making it still not quite ready for off road prime time. What they didn't mention was the smaller luggage capacity due to a cutout in one of the bags to give the exhaust pipe clearance.

The V1K got dinged for lack of a gear shift indicator and engine heat. Funny, it was about 80°F out yesterday and the engine was reading about 200°F and I didn't notice any concentrated heat on my being.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I just received my Motorcyclist with the same comparo in it. It will be interesting what they say....

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Come on, I have NEVER had a gear indicator on a bike OR car that I've owned and I haven't left a single gear somewhere because of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts