Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first motorcycle so I am little hesitant to lose the engine shrouds for the skid plate. I believe I read there is some wiring and a sensor that will become exposed? I assume this is worth it for protecting the exhaust?

Also, given the shrouds are plastic, would it be possible to modify them to fit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
From what I've seen of install information for the ricochet and looking at my own bike, I think they use the same mounts to secure the skid plate as the original plastic shrouds mount to, so I don't know how much of an option mounting both would be. Speculation based on observation, not experience, so take as you will. If it were my bike, I'd choose the skidplate over the shrouds any day, they are plastic and mostly for looks in my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure about the mounting points, but if you look at how thin the T-rex skid plate is in order to fit with the plastic shrouds, you are giving up a lot of protection imo, though I agree it is aesthetically more fitting.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61tjFB3ISGL._SL1200_.jpg

I would like to get the Ricochet skid plate, and just put the plastics in storage. Maybe get something like the r&g engine case covers. If you are not planning on doing heavy offroading, you might not really need the beefy skid plate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
danwray, Seems you are mostly right. Looking at the pics, it seems the skid plate might only use 2/3 of the mounts. I am going to get the Ricochet, as I don't think those plastic shrouds would do much in a slide. I can waterproof the sensor wire if I am worried about it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure about the mounting points, but if you look at how thin the T-rex skid plate is in order to fit with the plastic shrouds, you are giving up a lot of protection imo, though I agree it is aesthetically more fitting.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61tjFB3ISGL._SL1200_.jpg

I would like to get the Ricochet skid plate, and just put the plastics in storage. Maybe get something like the r&g engine case covers. If you are not planning on doing heavy offroading, you might not really need the beefy skid plate.
Thanks for making the decision even harder! I've given this a lot of thought, and I am going to go with the Ricochet. I don't plan on doing any heavy off-roading, but it's for the unplanned I want to be protected against. I think I am more likely to accidentally bottom out than slide/crash, at least I hope so!

Thanks for the engine cover idea.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There is another thread (Ricochet) where I mentioned you would have to cut about one inch from the bottom of the plastic to re-use them. I did not do this, imo, they look goofy.

Did some off-road , creek crossings and banged the skid plate very hard about six times. IMO, the pipes and converter would have been severely damaged if I did not have the Ricochet skid plate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts