Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the anecdotes of Dakar's is what happened to my REVIT APACHE boots (the Revit´s best)...
I was standing watching the rally and two hours later I realized that both soles were detached from the middle of the boot back ... glue was like bubblegum. It was hot but not enough for this to happen you know. How a pair of these boots (good brand and expensive) could fail like that? :mad:
I already present my claim and now I have to sit and wait to see what they say. Although I bought them over a year ago this was the fifth time that I use them ... :thumbdown:
A pair of used Caterpillar boots I´ve got save my feet :thumb: yeah!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
859 Posts
From the tittle I thought someone attempted Dakar rally in these boots. :)

It could be a manufacturing defect.
Mine are holding up well after 2 years. Except for this. (attachment)
They do not fit me well, though, that's why I need to replace them.

There are more comfortable and more protective boots out there for similar or even less money.

Revit USA has a great customer service but you being on the wrong continent may complicate things.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sportbiketrackgear.com crew is taking care of my complaint because I bought the boots from them so... I will wait to see what they say. I trust them, they are a very good and reliable store and helped me in the past with other stuff...

You're right... I'm trying to find out another boots options.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have received an answer from REVIT´s sales office manager... he say that unfortunately the boots seem to be out of warranty and he suggest to glue the sole back to the boot.
Really... what a cheap answer, I don´t expect that kind of answer from a company like that. Those boots are supposed to be high quality but they´re saying that after one year, anything could happen to them and they can´t do anything about it... of course this is a manufacture failure but they can´t or don´t want to see it... no more Revit :nono:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have received an answer from REVIT´s sales office manager... he say that unfortunately the boots seem to be out of warranty and he suggest to glue the sole back to the boot.
Really... what a cheap answer, I don´t expect that kind of answer from a company like that. Those boots are supposed to be high quality but they´re saying that after one year, anything could happen to them and they can´t do anything about it... of course this is a manufacture failure but they can´t or don´t want to see it... no more Revit :nono:
Playing devil's advocate here, boots don't exactly have an odometer , so who's to say you didn't hike down to Dakar in them? My g/f once worked at a retail clothing store. She saw tons of people try to return obviously used clothing, saying 'it didn't fit' or the giant holes worn in them were a manufacturer's defect. Of course you only wore your pair a few times, and the soles should last longer than a year under any amount of use, but the manufacturer has to set a certain timeline past which they absolve themselves of further liability.

That being said, nothing in customer service is ever really final, so you may want to go back to revit and escalate the issue. Tell them your story, and that you're very unsatisfied with the durability of the product and you can't recommend them to anybody because of it. Companies hate bad press, so you may be able to get them to at least compromise. Maybe recover the costs of having a local shop secure those soles? Don't give up the fight until you get what you want, or a notarized letter from their CEO stating 'please stop calling us' :)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
That's crap. At the least they could have you send them back and glue them for you. Good for customer relations and wouldn't cost them hardly anything.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Contact cement...easy fix.

More heavy duty boots are made using a 'goodyear welt' sewing method of attaching the sole to the boot. Generally these are not 'street' boots.

I thought REV-IT was top of the line? :(

·
Registered
859 Posts
I thought REV-IT was top of the line? :(
Not 100%.
Their gear is very well thought out (top of the line in this section) but their materials and durability are lacking. It's probably because they are trying to be competitive and offer lowest possible pricing.
If you want an example for the most technically advanced, superior materials, small production, niche market motorcycle gear take a look at Klim. Then take a look at their prices. Very few people can afford their suits but quality and durability is there.

I currently use Rev'it jacket, pants and boots but, for now, I won't be buying anymore from them.
I'd still recommend some of their gear, though.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If you want an example for the most technically advanced, superior materials, small production, niche market motorcycle gear take a look at Klim. Then take a look at their prices. Very few people can afford their suits but quality and durability is there.

Yep. Nice stuff that is out of my budget. :eek:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as I know, you have to chose the right glue or cement because sometimes materials are not compatible. I heard that from an old shoe repair man; "Not all glues work the same in all materials... you have to find the tight one".
And as my boots will remain with me I will try to find the right glue, should work well both on the rubber sole as in the cushion foam between your foot and the sole.

·
Registered
764 Posts
i have a hard time taking your side on this one. How did the Rev'it! guy know that you didn't let those boots sit out in the desert sun for days and let the glue get hot, which would cause them to seperate.

*on a seperate note --
I worked at sears when I was younger and saw a woman bring in a set of wrenches that had been blackened by her house burning down (from her own fault btw) and the sears associate was trying to explain to her that they could not replace the wrenches because they were not broken, just blackened.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Clean the surfaces really good and use Sikaflex 1A. It's a one part poly urethane caulk sealant. It sticks to everything and does not let go. It also stays kind of rubbery soft when it's dry. I build huge bolted steel water tanks with this stuff. It will even cure underwater if it has too...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Clean the surfaces really good and use Sikaflex 1A. It's a one part poly urethane caulk sealant. It sticks to everything and does not let go. It also stays kind of rubbery soft when it's dry. I build huge bolted steel water tanks with this stuff. It will even cure underwater if it has too...
Stud, where can you buy Sikaflex 1A?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good tips folks, thanks. I´ve seen Sikaflex products here, I´ll ask for that type.
About the warranty... I think if all stores distrust of their customers, then there would be no refunds. We should start in good faith, always, Don´t we?

Some time ago I sent a claim to Cortech because one of the softbags that I bought get unsewed. They asked me to send back the defective bag and sooner than I expect they sent me 2 new softgads (two, not just one) ... That was more than I expected really. GOOD FOR CORTECH!

In this case, REVIT crew should ask me to send them the boots for their inspection, then they will realize that the leather is in perfect condition and the sole with very small use.

Anyway... I think I will never hear anything back from REV'IT again. I think my point was exposed to everyone, that´s what I wanted... :)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Good tips folks, thanks. I´ve seen Sikaflex products here, I´ll ask for that type.
About the warranty... I think if all stores distrust of their customers, then there would be no refunds. We should start in good faith, always, Don´t we?

Some time ago I sent a claim to Cortech because one of the softbags that I bought get unsewed. They asked me to send back the defective bag and sooner than I expect they sent me 2 new softgads (two, not just one) ... That was more than I expected really. GOOD FOR CORTECH!

In this case, REVIT crew should ask me to send them the boots for their inspection, then they will realize that the leather is in perfect condition and the sole with very small use.

Anyway... I think I will never hear anything back from REV'IT again. I think my point was exposed to everyone, that´s what I wanted... :)
Show them these posts. Motorcycle owners groups pull some weight with manufacturers. I am surprised at their response and would give second thoughts to a purchase of their products.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts