Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2017 Versys X300
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in north Louisiana where we can pretty much ride year round! I'm not new to riding. I rode bikes all of my younger life. Even did a fair amount of off-road racing thru my collage years. Then I got married... had kids... made a living... If you don't know what I mean, you will...!! Now that I'm reaching retirement age, and have a lot less "obligations", I'm ready to start riding again.

I found a sweet deal on a decked out x300. it has all the extras and is clean as a pin... The smaller, lighter bike appealed to me for several reasons. First, it's easier for an Old Guy to man handle on the trails. Don't worry, I'm aware of it's limited off-road capabilities. But still, I like to get off the pavement as much as I can. Second, I can hitch-haul it on my RV. This extends my range dramatically. Especially when the wife is wanting to come along! Third, I don't really plan to "travel" on the bike. If that changes I'm sure I'll be looking to upgrade. I live about 10 miles from the nearest town. This bike will be my fun way to run errands into town. And fun to cruise the back roads when I just want to get away!

· Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
1,234 Posts
Welcome from Georgia! You picked a great bike 👍🏻

I carry my X300 camping and ride 2up with my wife often. You're right, it's not a dirt bike, but it will get off road plenty good as long as you remember what you are riding 😉

Looking forward to seeing your bike and your adventures!

PS - several on here have taken journies upward of 1000 miles on the x300... so don't underestimate it. (The used Corbin seat I bought was a game changer... especially for my wife)

· Registered
2017 Versys X300
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here's a photo and I'll try to comprise a list of the add-ons. I'm not sure if I even know what all is added! And I certainly don't know where they came from!

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

Here's a list of all the addons and upgrades. I think I got them all?! I'd be curious as to what y'all think all this would cost?!!

Puig oversize windshield
Givi crossbar accessory mount
Ram cellphone mount
GoPro mount
Dash cam mount
BarkBuster hand guards
Color matched grips
Comfort seat upgrade!!
Kawasaki top case (not pictured)
Givi side brackets with Monokey panniers
Givi HD front crash bars
Nilight LED running/fog lights
LED conversions in all lights
Green anodized brake reservoir covers and oil fill cap
Green silicon exhaust protector
New CID upgrade chain and sprockets (one tooth over on front)
Skid plate
Center stand
Offroad foot pegs (not yet installed)
Green reflective decals on wheels
New TrailMax Mission tires

· Registered
6,097 Posts
Here's a photo and I'll try to comprise a list of the add-ons. I'm not sure if I even know what all is added! And I certainly don't know where they came from!

View attachment 191526
Yep, it is loaded up! With all that gear and tank of fuel that bike is going to weigh in over 400 lbs. Make sure you get a carrier rated at 500 lbs or more and keep in mind that the bike plus carrier is going to get close to the limit on a class III receiver especially if your RV is a class b and has a lot of RV behind the rear wheels.
Personally, I would measure the front and rear wheel wells to the ground before installing the carrier and bike, and then measure again to make sure the rear doesn't sag too much and front doesn't rise.
You will also want more aggressive tires for off-roading. Those are fine for unpaved roads.

· Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
1,234 Posts

View attachment 191526
Looks like a great setup !

I agree for sure with @twowheeladdict on the hitch carrier. Mine is 600# rated and is great -- wouldn't want to go below 500# rating. I carry on the front of my 3/4 ton pickup -- sags 1/2" to 3/4" . The length of the hitch carrier (depth?) is something to watch for.

Crash bars, luggage, lights, windshield, maybe a seat concepts seat?, center stand, hand guards ... no much else needed except miles on the road 👍🏻👍🏻

· Super Moderator
22,251 Posts
WELCOME aboard!

When I wanted to carry my KLR650 on the back of my 'Class A' motorhome, I upgraded the hitch to THREE 2 inch hitch receivers. Worked WELL!

· Registered
2021 Versys-X 300 2021 Z900RS
576 Posts

View attachment 191526

Here's a list of all the addons and upgrades. I think I got them all?! I'd be curious as to what y'all think all this would cost?!!

Puig oversize windshield
Ram cellphone mount
GoPro mount
Dash cam mount
BarkBuster hand guards
Color matched grips
Comfort seat upgrade!!
Givi HD front crash bars
Skid plate
Center stand
Kawasaki Green is a great color.

· Registered
360 Posts

View attachment 191526

Puig oversize windshield
Ram cellphone mount
GoPro mount
Dash cam mount
BarkBuster hand guards
Color matched grips
Comfort seat upgrade!!
Givi HD front crash bars
Skid plate
Center stand
Wow, great bike. Won't need to put much into it. Also a perfect bike to get reacclimated to motorcycling. Light, stable, forgiving. Hope she takes you on many great rides!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts