Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching replacing my handlebar. It seems pretty simple, however the service manual is not very specific when it comes to the throttle assembly. Do I need to replace the throttle grip when I remove the throttle assembly? Or can I simply remove the throttle assembly off the old handlebar and install it on the new handlebar?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sliding the throttle assembly off the old handle bar after the bar end weights have been removed is the easy part. Remove a couple of screws from the control housing and everything comes loose. Just be aware the stock bar has a hole in it to locate the throttle assembly housing. You'll either need to drill a hole in the new bar for the pin, or you'll need to grind down the pin and then wrap the new bar with a little duct tape to prevent the throttle assembly from moving on the bar. I've tried two other bars on my V and always run in to problems with the control housings hitting the fairings when the bar is turned to full lock-such as when backing the bike out of my garage and turning it around in my driveway. I finally went back to the stock bar and installed Speedy's riser so I could rotate the grips down into a move natural position for me-not supersport, not even sport touring, just not enduro flat. Good luck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks good info to know. I am going to order an OEM handlebar. I have already removed everything. Do the OEM handlebars not come with the hole pre-drilled either? I am going to assume the holes for the cable ties are not pre-drilled either. I also broke one of the cable ties that get inserted into the handle bars. Does anyone know where to buy these? I will be researching a source for these ties over the weekend. I appreciate everyone's help and input.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My advice, get an old towel or something to cover the gas tank. :goodidea:

Dropping a wrench or something else will leave a nasty ding--don't ask how I learned that one.

GDI

·
Registered
643 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
When I pulled my bars to install the bar-riser the top of the clamp remained attached to the bar. That wasn't a problem for my project but would be for bar replacement. I assumed it was to keep the bar angle up off the tank cowls, but I guess not. Should just be able to tap that guy loose I suppose?

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Yes you should be able to pop off top clamp from handlebar easily enough. It's holding on only by a bit of oxidation.

Jagrugger: Have you considered an aluminum handlebar instead?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes you should be able to pop it off top clamp from handlebar easily enough. It's holding on only by a bit of oxidation.

Jagrugger: Have you considered an aluminum handlebar instead?
No, I just figured go with OEM parts. I had not even thought of looking into aftermarket parts. I guess its too late now I already ordered a new handlebar. If I had thought about it I probably could have gotten it here sooner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts