Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really not liking the stock windscreen on my versys. Too much wind action at highway speeds. I had a google to see what's available but theres nothing available in my country (Australia). If i import, it'll be waaay more expensive so i need to make a really good choice from the get go. I'm aware of 2 windscreens; the touring windscreen Puig makes and the Givi.

· Registered
41 Posts
the stock windscreen is trash.

As you say, you have the original Puig and Givi. or the aliexpress version (questionable quality, questionable cut, but comes in many colors!)
I'm 180 cm tall (5.9 ft?) and I am very comfortable with the givi.
and the difference between the 2 is that givi is a little wider, but the puig is taller.
but in summary yes, you gain comfort by changing the windscreen

· Registered
114 Posts
the stock windscreen is trash.

As you say, you have the original Puig and Givi. or the aliexpress version (questionable quality, questionable cut, but comes in many colors!)
I'm 180 cm tall (5.9 ft?) and I am very comfortable with the givi.
and the difference between the 2 is that givi is a little wider, but the puig is taller.
but in summary yes, you gain comfort by changing the windscreen
Yes I'm kind of on a search myself. Limited options. I would never buy anything off AliExpress, just on principle. "Just like Givi, only cheaper!" :rolleyes:
I've added the MRA X-Screen "Sport" adjustable spoiler to the stock screen, with pretty good success. However my Versys has become my do-it-all bike, and so for example on my 600-mile day on the freeway to get to Deals Gap, I found that set up lacking. Based on a recommendation, I am now using the Givi screen, but it is noticeably more flexible than the stock screen. At least for me, the lip at the top caused more turbulence on top my helmet, than it eliminated, so I eliminated the lip. (Actually not all of it, just the top 1.5 inches or so.) Works better now! But, it still depends on your speed, direction of travel vs prevailing winds, type of surrounding traffic etc., so there can still be some "roar" from the wind. I have moderate hearing loss already, with annoying tinnitus, so I'd like it quieter if at all possible. (This is with a Shoe GT-Air full face helmet and always using 33 db soft foam ear plugs.) Since the Givi already has so much flex, it wouldn't be prudent to add the MRA spoiler to that.

I know there is the Madstad, which I've already used on a couple of other bikes and was pretty happy with it, but I really don't want to add all of that contraption to the front of my attractive little Versys. And of course Cal-Sci offers a very sturdy shield, but I don't believe it is cut to allow handguards, PLUS, another Versys owner has gone through a couple of them and believes that the curvature of the screen is wrong, where it meets the mounting holes, causing it to crack.

What to do, what to do? I know from past experience with my V-Strom that buying and trying various windshields can be an expensive rabbit-hole to go down...

· Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
842 Posts
@Wugsy
I have a zero gravity on mine, was on the bike when I got it. From the center to top 17"/43cm at the widest 18"/46cm I can cruise at 70mph/112kph or greater with no buffeting and don't feel like I'm going to get peeled off. I'm 5"8" and it's set at the lowest point I check and will include a link in Australia Double Bubble (DB)

Attachments

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Wugsy
I have a zero gravity on mine, was on the bike when I got it. From the center to top 17"/43cm at the widest 18"/46cm I can cruise at 70mph/112kph or greater with no buffeting and don't feel like I'm going to get peeled off. I'm 5"8" and it's set at the lowest point I check and will include a link in Australia Double Bubble (DB)
The one thing that confuses me the most looking at windscreens is which one will fit my bike. Will something for a '17 model fit a '22 model? They look very similar

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

· Registered
114 Posts
@Wugsy
Is that a Versys-X 300? Looks different.
Didn't know Zero Gravity made screens for the 300, interesting.
The one thing that confuses me the most looking at windscreens is which one will fit my bike. Will something for a '17 model fit a '22 model? They look very similar
17-22 are all the same.

· Registered
842 Posts
My bike, the one pictured with the windshield is a 2019 650 LT. It is using the factory mounts.
I just looked at the site I sent and they don't list one ???
Further search only netted 2 sellers in the US that ship international.

Have no idea shipping cost

· Registered
842 Posts
A 2018 and 2022 use the same factory windshield
here's a kawasaki site that can be used to check part numbers against different years
Comes in handy for other things as well

· Registered
114 Posts
My bike, the one pictured with the windshield is a 2019 650 LT. It is using the factory mounts.
I just looked at the site I sent and they don't list one ???
Further search only netted 2 sellers in the US that ship international.

Have no idea shipping cost
OK. But as far as I know screens between Versys 650 and the 300 are not interchangeable parts.
The OP was referring to the Versys-X 300, (or, at least that's the sub-forum he posted in...)

· Registered
Vx300 14/43: Urban Assault Vehicle
997 Posts
I would never buy anything off AliExpress, just on principle. "Just like Givi, only cheaper!" :rolleyes:
The Givi is a little too cheap already imo. It came with my bike., I ran with stock for a while.,but do prefer the extra coverage and a little less noise.,it’s holding up so far, but kind of expecting it to crack in cooler temps as much as it bounces around. National one looks decent, as does Madstat

· Registered
Vx300 14/43: Urban Assault Vehicle
997 Posts
Looks like the Madstat uses a bit of hardware. I like the broad bolt pattern on the shield. That, and the substructure are likely what’s needed to best stabilize the larger shield.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts