Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the pics of the naked V I thought I'd remove my pillion pegs, grab handles etc.
Has anyone noticed any adverse effects from doing this?
All I've noticed is a lot less rattles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
There was a thread on the lattice removal several years back. The conclusion was - as long as you don't carry a passenger or a lot of luggage, you should be fine. The vibration/buzz reduction benefit was not mentioned in that thread at that time. Some liked the look, some did not. I kinda like the Ducati like lattice, and I use the passenger pegs for yet another position to sit in on longer rides. The "forward lean" that it causes will get my helmet into the smooth airflow area behind and above my windscreen, which eliminates the annoying helmet buffeting I get when riding in the 70 to 85 mph range.

I'm not that familiar with U.K. regulations - is that a standard issue license plate? It's huge!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is!
A few years back we could get away with "cut down" plates but now it's big trouble if you get stopped.
I have no intention of passengers or luggage as that type of riding is for my tenere. The v is purely for short runs as I find leg room a little limited and uncomfortable after a while

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
... The v is purely for short runs as I find leg room a little limited and uncomfortable after a while

I agree (mostly). On the V - My Speedy/MotorWerks foot peg lowerers help with my knee and hipflexor issues, and my highway pegs help with my tight hamstrings and lower back. But I still need to stop every 2 hours or so and stretch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have the lowered pegs, an inch makes a lot of difference

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
873 Posts
Not sure but I seem to recall several fellows saying that it weakened the bikes structure to remove the lattice or was not a good idea for some reason. I'm sure they will be along shortly....

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
The rear subframe is there for a reason, to provide strength and stiffness. I would be concerned with damage to the bike if you drop it without the reinforcing subframe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I'm not using the rear section of the bike I don't really see an issue.
Where I'm sat has no relevance to the location of the removed parts
If I carried a passenger and or had luggage then its a valid point
Only time will tell I guess

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
There are lots of photos on this forum (from several years ago) that show several Versys' with the lattice removed, with no ill effects reported.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
There are lots of photos on this forum (from several years ago) that show several Versys' with the lattice removed, with no ill effects reported.
discussion on this subject stated in 2008, coinciding with the Versys being available here.

there were a bunch of riders on the road with the struts removed, but then documentation started coming in that the Versys subframe was not even fabricated as strongly as the ER6 (Ninja) subframe, and can flex even with the struts attached.

not as many Versys riders removing the struts now, but if they get removed, it's their bike, do as ya please.

·
Super Moderator
19,625 Posts
Not sure but I seem to recall several fellows saying that it weakened the bikes structure to remove the lattice or was not a good idea for some reason. I'm sure they will be along shortly....
I wouldn't remove it....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts