Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I am busily gathering together all the tools and equipment I may need to fit a few accessories for when I get to Houston from the UK. (I have a 2015 650LT in Houston)
The bike is new to me and unseen but I have tried out the same model in the UK and I am fairly certain I will want to lower the seat an inch (or two?).
I will not have much of a toolkit with me so I shall have to find a shop that can shave a bit of foam off the seat. Preferably somewhere I can drop the seat off and collect the next day to reduce holiday "down" time.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable upholsterer please?
I am staying a few miles north west of the centre of Houston.

Thanks in advance.

John

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Just Finished Seat Foam

Hi all, I am busily gathering together all the tools and equipment I may need to fit a few accessories for when I get to Houston from the UK. (I have a 2015 650LT in Houston)
The bike is new to me and unseen but I have tried out the same model in the UK and I am fairly certain I will want to lower the seat an inch (or two?).
I will not have much of a toolkit with me so I shall have to find a shop that can shave a bit of foam off the seat. Preferably somewhere I can drop the seat off and collect the next day to reduce holiday "down" time.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable upholsterer please?
I am staying a few miles west of the centre of Houston.

Thanks in advance.

John
FYI you won't get more than 1/2 inch moding the seat foam. You need to set your sag front and back. I have a 30 inch inseam, I used MotoWerk lowering link which gives about 1 1/8 inch lower.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a shame, I thought at least an inch could be removed - not to worry!

Ref the lowering kit. I was hoping to avoid that if I can because it seems a shame to mess about with Mr Kawasaki's engineering genius and I will not have the tools with me to do it anyway. I may have to learn to live with the height I think.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
As onewizard stated, a lowering kit is the way to go. Shaving your seat will kill the resale value of your bike by a few hundred.

The lowering kit is relatively easy to install but you need a car floor jack to lift the bike under the right side footpeg, to tripod it on the floor jack, kick stand and front wheel.

To lower the front 1 inch requires a front pit stand that lifts the bike under the triple tree.

·
Super Moderator
1,484 Posts
There is not much meat in the seat to chop away. If you do then in 2 hours sitting on it will feel like you are sitting on a plank.

·
Registered
970 Posts
You can remove a "bit" over one inch of foam from the seat. I did and then added a 3/4" gel pad covered with 1/2" low density cover foam. That makes the seat more comfortable but sure doesn't lower it much.

You might consider buying Kawasaki's "lower" seat. It does lower about an inch and is still pretty comfortable.

My 15' 650 was lowered when I bought it and if it had not been I would have done it. The Versys is a pretty tall bike as you know.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers all, I may have an option to buy a low seat from a chap on here which will resolve the issue and save me a load of grief!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts