Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So I've been thinking of adding a 12V power adapter to my kawa and I want it to turn off when there is no key in the ignition. I know the wires for the accessory are already there, behind the left fairing but I find opinions that contradict each other about the fact that I need to add a relay or not ... A lot of people say to add one and a few say that there is already one in the circuit. I found the wiring diagram (below) for the mk2 and it looks like there is already an accessory relay + a fuse of 5A so I'm wondering why so many people say to add one ? Am I looking to the right diagram ?

If I need to add a relay, which one would you advice me ? I want an kawasaki relay but I can't find the good one for the 2013 versys, the part number is suppose to be 99994-0195 but I only found 99994-0556 relay on amazon (it's for 2015 versys and up ...).

Also, people say that you can plug two different accessories with these wires but It looks like there is only 1 power wire (and 2 ground wires), do I need to split it ? Or if I add a kawa relay, it splits it for me ?

Thanks ✌

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
I used the Kawi 'relay' on my Gen 3 V650, and I BELIEVE it powers several things, but you're still limited by available power. NOT a problem for me.

:cool:

·
Registered
319 Posts
So I've been thinking of adding a 12V power adapter to my kawa and I want it to turn off when there is no key in the ignition. I know the wires for the accessory are already there, behind the left fairing but I find opinions that contradict each other about the fact that I need to add a relay or not ... A lot of people say to add one and a few say that there is already one in the circuit.
Simple, easy, and cheap to add your own. See link below:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Looking at that wiring diagram, I think you want a relay. Idk if a relay is physically there already or not, but I suspect not because of the dashed line around it. But that is just a guess.

The power to the relay comes off of the same source as the turn signal. This is the power which causes the relay to close the switch, not power the accessory. This same power source goes to the turn signal relay via a 10A fuse. Without the rest of the circuit diagram it is a guess, but I presume this +12v is switched.

So, you could tap off of the O/G wire, which you've highlighted in green, but it will not have fuse protection. (There may be a whole-system fuse but it will be something like 30A which is not going to be beneficial in protecting that accessory). The O/G wire simply provides the energy to close the switch inside the relay.

The R/BL wire you've highlighted in blue has the 5A fuse in it, which is what will protect your accessory circuit. That wire is what will provide the power out to your accessory.

So yes you want a relay. No, idk if it is already installed but probably it is not. You can look under the cowling to see, and my guess is you'll find an empty connector where you just plug the relay in. Once you plug it in, you can tap off of the output wire for your accessory.

No, you don't need to do anything with the 2 grounds. You probably should not wire them together so as to avoid a "ground loop". Idk where "water-proof joint A" or "water-proof joint B" go, but you should be perfectly safe just using either ground for whatever you connect to the accessory circuit.

·
Registered
2013 v650
331 Posts
I have a 2013 gen 2. Yes you need to add a relay. The connector is under the left tank side fairing. The positive lead will take 2 bullet connectors. There are 2 separate ground connections. Kawasaki makes a relay/ bracket kit 99994-0195 for many $$. I used a 27002-1086 relay by Omron sourced from Amazon. I didn't add a bracket just tie wrapped it in. The total load on the aux circuit is 5 amps. I am running my GPS and aux lights on mine.
If you are looking to add more items than that I would recommend a separate fuse panel and relay under the seat or other location of your choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2013 gen 2. Yes you need to add a relay. The connector is under the left tank side fairing. The positive lead will take 2 bullet connectors. There are 2 separate ground connections. Kawasaki makes a relay/ bracket kit 99994-0195 for many $$. I used a 27002-1086 relay by Omron sourced from Amazon. I didn't add a bracket just tie wrapped it in. The total load on the aux circuit is 5 amps. I am running my GPS and aux lights on mine.
If you are looking to add more items than that I would recommend a separate fuse panel and relay under the seat or other location of your choice.
Okey thanks for the answer ! I want to run my aux lights too and a 12 volts outlet to charge my phone so I think I'll be fine (40W for the lights and 10W for the phone so not more than 4.2A)! And yeah it seems to be always the same relay for kawasaki bikes (27002-1086), I'll definitely order one, thanks✌

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my 2019 there is no relay, only socket is wired. Relay itself has to be ordered separately for ( if I'm not mistaken ) 15 EUR + 12 V universal socket 120 EUR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts