Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to search the mentioned topic but couldn't find it.
I know it's a safety violation but to have fuel to the brim, the bike has to be upright and tilting/straightening the handle (standing beside the bike) while holding the fuel hose is no small tasks, especially with a loaded bike.

So my question to you guys/gals, do you do it ?

·
Registered
596 Posts
No. Never. I'd prefer not to have a crotch full of gasoline.
I've never stood any bike I've owned up straight to fill. I've always filled on the sidestand. I don't see any reason to try and stand it up straight to get in a bit more gas.

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
I usually remain on the seat to fill up, but I can fill it more if it's on the sidestand as I stand beside it.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
I sit on the bike holding it straight up and get every drop i can into it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Always stay sitting on the bike holding it up straight. I keep watching the gas as I fill, so I know when to stop pumping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Stand beside the bike (obviously on the kickstand side) and then balance it upright while I fill the tank. I want as much fuel as possible in the tank.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have always filled up sitting on the bike. If I'm going to continue riding a long way after fill-up or parking the bike for a week or more, I like to get the gas nearly to the top of the filler neck.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Kickstand fill-up with the front wheel turned pretty much straight ahead. Wouldn't want to be sitting on the bike when some idiot backs into you or bumps you from behind. Much better to be on the side and ready to step out of the way of any incoming....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it's a common practise (though not favored) everywhere, to be on the bike. The side stand is a given of course, in case you need to leave the bike in a hurry :)

I thought I was the odd one out as it's rather difficult to dismount with a loaded bike and make the unforced error of tipping the bike over in front of a station full of onlookers.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Having seen one rider seriously burned when gas slopped on to the hot exhaust while he was on the bike; I stopped fueling while seated a long time ago. This incident was while fueling from a can on a dirt bike but the potential hazard is there.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I get off the bike and let the bike on the sidesttand while filling up, and i usually fill it up to the neck of the hole so when i ride the bike upright, there is some little air space just below the lock cap. The few centi-litres of extra fuel filling up while sitting upright on the bike makes no difference or concern to me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not contending with what Kimel said, I think most gasoline related fire is due to static discharge over gasoline fumes. Our gloves / clothings / bike seats, if made from cotton/plastic are great static generators. In the case of the off-roader, the non-standard jerry cans made from plastics are culprits in static discharges and this is the greater factor over heated exhaust pipes.

FYI, in my younger days working on bikes and using gasoline as a cleaning agent, I can throw a light match or cigarrette butt into a pan of gasoline and the match/ciggy died off. It's the gasoline fumes that ignites but not in liquid form.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Ive always filled up with bike on kick stand but its a good excuse to give my butt a rest and usually I need to also go to the loo for the standard middle age pee!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I tried to search the mentioned topic but couldn't find it.
Refuelling sitting on bike....

I know it's a safety violation but to have fuel to the brim, the bike has to be upright and tilting/straightening the handle (standing beside the bike) while holding the fuel hose is no small tasks, especially with a loaded bike.

So my question to you guys/gals, do you do it ?
Only after lighting a smoke.....

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yep, it's the vapor that gets you. Hot exhaust vaporizes the fuel and whatever sets it off. He had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his thighs and family jewels. Riding in short pants was acceptable back then.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts