Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Recently my bike suffered a rectifier fail (40.000km), and I thought I would just buy a new one, because I checked the alternator and all phases are working fine. So I ordered another rectifier via E-bay, and after I installed it, I realized my headlights were not working. I saw here on the forum that rectifier fail sometimes causes starter solenoid or relay in the relay box to fail as well, so I ordered new starter solenoid and used relay box. But in order to drive while I wait, I made a little "modification" - I opened up the relay box, after consulting the repair manual, and I jumped over the pins that relay the 12v current for headlights. Now I can drive my bike (but lights are on as soon as I switch the key to "on" position - as expected)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Head light is on with the turn of key to on correct? This is standard only option is high or low beam, correct? :confused:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
He still has control over his high or low beam... Only difference is that it's on as soon as igniion is on.

Under normal conditions .......
Ignition switch on only small running light in front comes on. After starting the motor running light and head light is on high or low depending on were the high low switch position was last left in? correct?

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Hello everyone!

Recently my bike suffered a rectifier fail (40.000km), and I thought I would just buy a new one, because I checked the alternator and all phases are working fine. So I ordered another rectifier via E-bay, and after I installed it, I realized my headlights were not working. I saw here on the forum that rectifier fail sometimes causes starter solenoid or relay in the relay box to fail as well, so I ordered new starter solenoid and used relay box. But in order to drive while I wait, I made a little "modification" - I opened up the relay box, after consulting the repair manual, and I jumped over the pins that relay the 12v current for headlights. Now I can drive my bike (but lights are on as soon as I switch the key to "on" position - as expected)
Bookmarked for future reference!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Anyone have experience with the Compu-fire R/R? Or do most go with Ricks Motosport R/R or the OEM R/R?? Thinking that I may want to buy a back up in the states since OEM parts are about double priced in Mexico.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Under normal conditions .......
Ignition switch on only small running light in front comes on. After starting the motor running light and head light is on high or low depending on were the high low switch position was last left in? correct?
Yeah.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Anyone have experience with the Compu-fire R/R? Or do most go with Ricks Motosport R/R or the OEM R/R?? Thinking that I may want to buy a back up in the states since OEM parts are about double priced in Mexico.
A few of us have the Compufire series type R/R... All others are shunt type like OEM.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MacGyver is a real "hero"! Haha! Well, I had to manage my situation somehow, so jumping the relay seemed to be the right thing to do while waiting fot the new box to arrive.
Of course I still have the option to use low or high beam, the only thing different from the original bike is the fact that lights run from the moment I switch the key to "on" position, and they don't come off while I am starting the bike. With the battery working well, I does not seem to be a problem.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Very good and noted for future years if needed! :thumb:

Thanks for sharing the info! ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey people!

Just to notify you all, Mac Gyver changed the relay box! Haha!

I ordered a used one off the e-Bay, installed it today, and everything is back to stock specifications. I was worried about a starter solenoid, because it also may cause some problems, as I saw people here write, but it did not need to be changed, so I have a spare in case the original decides to blow.
Now my lights work again after I depress the starter switch, so everything is as it should be.
However, I won't throw the old relay box in garbage, as it can be used again if any "MacGyver" situation appears again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts