Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been lurking here for a few weeks as well as other sites. I’m close to deciding on a Versys to replace my BMW R1100RS which was stolen a few years ago. :( I have 4 kids now (all adopted) with 3 going in braces this summer, so a new Bimmer is out of the question.

A few questions for Versys owners. What recommendation do you have for a new Versys? New tires, shock, springs, seat, etc? I’m 5’11”, 32” inseam, 200 lbs neckid. Pleasure riding, occasional commuting, some highway, no off-road

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
:welcome: I recommend riding it for a bit and you may or may not want to change it. I needed to lower mine (I am 5' 8") and add a topcase (for backrest for my daughter). I also made a few smaller upgrades but stock she is fine for me. You being a little taller, most tend to like Speedy's driver lowering blocks that lower the footpegs an inch or two.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Don't we wish we could catch slimeballs who steal. Sorry to heard that; it would have been heartbreaking had it happened to me. Out of curiosity, where are you located? Just so I won't bring my K75S anywhere near there. :D

BTW, have you considered used BMWs, or have you decided not to tempt fate twice? I came across a very nice and well cared for '93 K75S - in central Maine of all places - last summer and managed to bring it home for $3000, which I thought was more than fair (and below KBB). The fellow I bought it from now rides a newer used BMW - a very nice 2004 R1100RT. I'll probably drop hints in a year or so that I would appreciate first right of refusal should he decide to look for an even newer used BMW.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m in Melbourne Beach, FL. The Bimmer was stolen when I was living in Atlanta. I’m going the Kaw route since the closest Bimmer dealer is almost 2 hrs away.

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
379 Posts
5' 11" here and mine came lowered with the low gel seat. Flat foot both sides east, I'm sure I don't need the low stuff but it handles so good I don't want to fiddle with anything lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
774 Posts
I love my V but considering the huge difference between the bike you had and the Versys I would say take a good ride on one before you buy. Although my brain says the Versys is great my wrist is wondering what else is out there.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If possible get a second generation (2010-present). They have rubber isolators on the motor mounts that the earlier ones (like mine 2009) do not. My 2009 doesn't have that much vibration and what it has doesn't bother me. However, they tell it's a little better on the newer models.

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
I’m in Melbourne Beach, FL. The Bimmer was stolen when I was living in Atlanta. I’m going the Kaw route since the closest Bimmer dealer is almost 2 hrs away.
I 'road-tested' the BMW GS1200, GS800 and GS700 before buying my first V. I STILL believe it's BETTER than those Beemers.
:thumb:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'd say the Versys should fit you just fine as-is. I'm 6'0" with a 34" leg and can put both feet flat with room to spare. The biggest issue we tall fellas seem to have is the screen, but it may work for you, as may the seat (another common gripe). The stock tires aren't great, but I ran mine for 10,000 miles until the tread started separating more than I was comfortable with. Like the Capn said, run with it until you figure out what doesn't work and go from there.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I’ve been lurking here for a few weeks as well as other sites. I’m close to deciding on a Versys to replace my BMW R1100RS which was stolen a few years ago. :( I have 4 kids now (all adopted) with 3 going in braces this summer, so a new Bimmer is out of the question.

A few questions for Versys owners. What recommendation do you have for a new Versys? New tires, shock, springs, seat, etc? I’m 5’11”, 32” inseam, 200 lbs neckid. Pleasure riding, occasional commuting, some highway, no off-road

Thanks in advance.
Welcome!

As for suggested mods, you may want to invest in some SW-Motech or Givi crash bars as they will pay for themselves if you ever drop your bike on its side. I find hard bags are really handy, either a top case or saddle bags. SW-Motech make removable brackets for the Givi V35 bags which are also sold as the Kawasaki bags. They also make a nice top case rack. As for the seat I am the same size as you at 180lb and find the stock seat just fine. The front and rear suspension is adjustable for preload and damping, you may want to play around with that before deciding whether to upgrade the suspension. My experience with suspension mods on another bike is you really have to modify the front and back together to get much benefit from it. An aftermarket touring windshield is nice if you spend much time on the highway or riding in colder weather. There are many options here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts