Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have just "inherited" a 2001 BMW F650GS with a likely ceased engine!
Short story, 2 years ago, I'd just gotten my KLR 650 (now sold) and went on an island tour with my buddy (his BMW), part way through ride engine locked up.
Life got in the way and it sat untouched til now, in the interim my buddy left island, few days ago he tells me to just take it and see what I can do...
Honestly, I need another project like I need a hole in the head! But...
So I'm looking for a recommendation of a good forum, so I can do some research.
Aware of F650.com, but it doesn't seem too active, there is also a forum based in the UK.
Any direction to good F650 advice appreciated.
Many thanks in advance,

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Most of the FAQ's you will need will be on the Chain Gang site. And the few who are there will help you.

The UK site is hard to understand since they seem to talk in circles. As well, like most web sites, they are very sponsor prone and will get irritable if you do not agree with their sponsor selling needless products. Also, you may try the TR 650 Husky site (link below), which is the latest evolution of your bike (and as fast as our Vs. 650, but a thumper). Go to both the F650 sites, US and UK, and just hang around the Husky site to see what the racers are doing. And get every manual for your bike possible. And then get a good mechanic, lol.

TR650 | Cafe Husky

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks, to be clear, I'll be holding onto my 08 Versys.

The F650 is just a dalliance (however her PIAA lights and GIVI luggage will likely make the transition to the Versys :eek:)

Did a little digging in to the engine today, spark plug was crushed at the end and there was some, not a lot, of water in the oil, so I'm thinking dropped valve???

Anyways, seems the F650 engine is FUBAR! (will take head off in the next few days and see what I find and if she'll spin - regardless, a rebuild will likely cost more than a used ebay replacement, so she may end up being parted out (though she is not in the best condition generally).

TIA Glen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts