Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up 2019 650LT next week...will want to change stock windshield and add a tank bag...like the look of the Puig shield but would appreciate feedback before purchase...also, is tank metal or plastic? Will either get magnetic bag or one that locks to cap...thanks in advance for any suggestions.n

·
Registered
156 Posts
Picking up 2019 650LT next week...will want to change stock windshield and add a tank bag...like the look of the Puig shield but would appreciate feedback before purchase...also, is tank metal or plastic? Will either get magnetic bag or one that locks to cap...thanks in advance for any suggestions.n
Windscreens are subjective, even for like-sized riders on the exact same bike, its like walking into a restaurant and asking "whats good?" 🤷‍♀️
If you read any motorcycle forum, (I am registered on a LOT of them), they all have windscreen threads, and after hundreds and hundreds of replies, they can all be summarized with "its all trial and error", some will get you close but what I like you may hate.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Givi tank lock is the way to go. Model XS320 for the bag. The ring is super easy to install. Revzilla sells a kit that includes the correct ring for your bike, or you can order the ring separately. The bag clicks on and off easily. I tie the webbing strap to the handlebars to make stealing it more difficult. To access the fuel cap just press the lever to disconnect the bag and flip it up onto the handlebars.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have the SW-Motech Evo tank ring and I really like it. I use the Micro bag to hold my wallet/phone/earplugs/masks etc.

·
Registered
496 Posts
betoney nailed on on the windscreen issue. I tried the Puig but it caused a little buffeting at speed. I ended up with the National Cycle Sport-Touring screen, which works great for me, but everyone is different. Don't rule out the OE screen, which works for most folks.

Tankbags: The Givi XS320 was way too big for me; it got in the way of my riding. However, not everyone moves around on a bike as much I do, so it could work for someone else. It's a great bag otherwise. I liked the way the smallest SW-M gas cap mount bag fit and worked, but it was just too small for my purposes (and the map case was tiny.) I ended up with a good-old fashioned strap mount RKA 13L Shiloh Road, which fits perfect, doesn't get in my way, has a good-sized map case, and holds much more than the SW-M.

Reactions: betoney

·
Registered
103 Posts
Consider one of those flip screens you attach to the top of the standard screen. That’s the route I took, and although not perfect, was a huge improvement over stock, for minimal cost (Chinese knockoff 😄).

Also, a fender extender is a wise and cheap improvement. Does a good job of keeping all that crud off the exhaust and radiator. Oh, get a radiator guard as well.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Puig on my 2016 650 LT and I love it...way better than stock. I'm 6'3" and I keep it up on high even in the summer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have the Puig on my 2016 650 LT and I love it...way better than stock. I'm 6'3" and I keep it up on high even in the summer.
How do you not get terrible low-frequency buffeting at 6'3" with the Puig?? I'm 6'1"/2" and it's horrendous

@davec719 fender extender AND a radiator guard? Isn't that sort of redundant?

·
Registered
16 Posts
+1 for Givi Tanklock and the XS320. The shape of the tank and the location of the gas cap in relation to the bars make this one a clear winner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Screen opinions? Ask 10 riders, get 11 answers. They will vary for sure. I had a few screens on my Gen 1 and really liked the V-Stream. But I am pleasantly surprised to find the OEM shield on the Gen 3 works very well. I'm suspicious that the V-Stream is still better, but not suspicious enough to spend the money.

Money is the same reason I've never used a tank bag. Pound for pound, so expensive compared to almost any other storage. Never considered one to be worth the dough.

My 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
19,395 Posts
But I am pleasantly surprised to find the OEM shield on the Gen 3 works very well.
Money is the same reason I've never used a tank bag. Pound for pound, so expensive compared to almost any other storage. Never considered one to be worth the dough.
I use tank-bags on my LONG trips. In it I have maps w/ one in the transparent map-pocket; face-shield cleaner (I use no-name 'Lemon Pledge'); a day's worth of food; and spare gloves, plus the 12v charger for my camera batteries, USUALLY w/ one 'hooked-up' to it.

I TOO like the OEM 'shield on the Gen 3 V650. (I'm 5' 8", 31" inseam.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts