Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Tires age. So if you planned to put them next year, it would be better to wait for fresh ones. Do you run with tubes?
I only have the stock tube type rims. I'm not sure about going tubeless. I've watched some videos on how to use a lot of silicone caulk to cover over the spokes and go with a bolt in Schrader Valve. But that seems like a real chore. I think I'll be putting on the Dunlop tires soon. I have them in the basement in a constant 65 degrees with around 65% humidity so they will be fine for months with no UV getting to them.

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
...I only have the stock tube type rims. I'm not sure about going tubeless. I've watched some videos on how to use a lot of silicone caulk to cover over the spokes and go with a bolt in Schrader Valve. But that seems like a real chore....
For ME - LESS of a chore then trying to change a tube during a ride.

When I had "done" my KLR rims, I put over 10,000 kms w/out any problems, then sold it and bought my FIRST V650!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I first GOOPED the rims and, it just takes a couple of days. (I run tubeless on my crf250M for 5 years, and never any problems.) But then, I got alloy rims for Versys 300. If going off-road, I would keep the spoked rims, but I ride only on tarmac. I really hate punctures. I live part time in India, and there are many nails/screws/and what-not on the roads; i found myself stuck in the middle of nowhere, because I don't like to carry or the tools to change the tubes. With tubeless, first, it is easy to fix, and even without plugging the hole usually you can keep riding to reach your destination.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I fitted a set of Dunlop Trailmax Mission tyres after the OE tyres lasted 10000km.

I have since done an additional 24000km, yes you read it correctly, and the rear has only just started to show any signs of wear!!!

Crazy stuff, I will post some pics tomorrow.

These tyres have been awesome in all conditions, except for snotty plantation mud, so can HIGHLY recommend them.

As promised, albeit a bit later, here are the pics.

Pressure front: 2.15 bar, rear: 2.35 bar

Rear:
Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire
Tool Finger Measuring instrument Thumb Office supplies
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Front:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bicycle tire
Finger Automotive tire Gas Tread Electric blue
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Motor vehicle

·
Registered
105 Posts
As promised, albeit a bit later, here are the pics.

Pressure front: 2.15 bar, rear: 2.35 bar

Rear:
Front:
All I can say is WOW ! for having put 24,000 Km on those TrailMax Mission tires they are looking almost new. That is incredible. It looks like they have another 24,000Km to go with no worry. Thank you for sharing. I've got a set of the TrailMax Mission tires that I just bought sitting here and trying to get them on the bike soon. The dealer I bought my Versys X300 from could not obtain a set of the TrailMax tires (out of stock for months) so I went into full procurement mode and found the exact OEM size set BUT - the dealer will not put them on my bike. If I didn't buy the tires from them they will not put them on. WTH ! So now I'm trying to come up with plan "B".. Thank you again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All I can say is WOW ! for having put 24,000 Km on those TrailMax Mission tires they are looking almost new. That is incredible. It looks like they have another 24,000Km to go with no worry. Thank you for sharing. I've got a set of the TrailMax Mission tires that I just bought sitting here and trying to get them on the bike soon. The dealer I bought my Versys X300 from could not obtain a set of the TrailMax tires (out of stock for months) so I went into full procurement mode and found the exact OEM size set BUT - the dealer will not put them on my bike. If I didn't buy the tires from them they will not put them on. WTH ! So now I'm trying to come up with plan "B".. Thank you again.
I tried fitting them myself, just in case I need to remove one next to the road...

The front one was fairly easy with tyre levers, but the rear one was VERY difficult. Ended up taking it to a tyre shop to fit and then balanced them myself on a balancer I built myself.

The Dunlops are heavier and stiffer than the OE tyres, I got a nail through the rear tyre and actually drove the tyre flat for 40km without it coming of, or getting any damage!

Very stiff sidewall, but tread is nice and compliant.

Might have to look at going tubeless with these, but seeing that the rear stays on the rim quite nicely when flat, could always just limp to a nearby town with a flat.

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
...Might have to look at going tubeless with these, but seeing that the rear stays on the rim quite nicely when flat, could always just limp to a nearby town with a flat...
AS LONG as it DOES stay on your rim....

21 - 28 of 28 Posts