Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for some new tyres for my x30 after about 7000km on the stock ones. Anyone have recommendations?

I'm thinking of 80/20 road/off road tyres.

I've looked at:

Continental TKC70 Rocks Tires

Michelin Anakee Adventure

...which are both a bit expensive, but I might go with them anyway. Would be good to get some more options.

I also looked at the Pirelli Scorpion Rally and Shinko 705s, but they don't make either of then narrow enough (I need 100/90 on the front and 130/80 on the rear)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey Vam, just thought I'd mention the option of Shinko 705 140/90 17" rear tire size. This size is taller than stock, raising your bike about 1/2".
The taller tire will lower your revs by about 3% and render your speedo more accurate.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Time for some new tyres for my x30 after about 7000km on the stock ones. Anyone have recommendations?

I'm thinking of 80/20 road/off road tyres.

I've looked at:

Continental TKC70 Rocks Tires

Michelin Anakee Adventure

...which are both a bit expensive, but I might go with them anyway. Would be good to get some more options.

I also looked at the Pirelli Scorpion Rally and Shinko 705s, but they don't make either of then narrow enough (I need 100/90 on the front and 130/80 on the rear)
I have a 110 Shinko 705 on front with 9000 miles and lots of miles left. My second 140 Shiinko 705 rear started coming apart after 2000 miles. It had a birth date of week 10, 2021 and installed in July 2021. Had it replaced in Nova Scotia, prior to Newfoundland ferry and 2000 miles from home a few weeks after install. Shinko has quality control issues and lets some bad product out of factory. I’m through with Shinko and can’t trust them again I had also run 2 sets of 804/805 that did great

Here is tire I took off. Cracks were on nearly every lug and growing. On line search will show pictures of lugs having come off which I’m sure makes for a great ride.I could not risk that happening in Newfoundland.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Grey Vehicle door

·
Registered
Vx300 Embrace the Revs!
254 Posts
Happy with the Avon Trailriders. I run tubes inside them. Stock sizes available. Bike leans over a bit quicker than with the OEM tires.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm running on Pirelli Scorpion Trail

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the Shinko 705s, great tire for the price, but it doesn't last very long. I ran the Anakee Adventures on a cross country trip, the side compound is plenty good for fire road riding. They also last a really long time, did 7000+ miles fully loaded and they're finally starting to show signs of potential replacement. Expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the Shinko 705s, great tire for the price, but it doesn't last very long. I ran the Anakee Adventures on a cross country trip, the side compound is plenty good for fire road riding. They also last a really long time, did 7000+ miles fully loaded and they're finally starting to show signs of potential replacement. Expensive, but worth it in my opinion.
They would be my number 1 choice. I only hesitate because they're bias instead of radial. I figured, that's why they're cheaper. I want something good for the twisties, which is why I'm leaning toward Anakee Adventures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 110 Shinko 705 on front with 9000 miles and lots of miles left. My second 140 Shiinko 705 rear started coming apart after 2000 miles. It had a birth date of week 10, 2021 and installed in July 2021. Had it replaced in Nova Scotia, prior to Newfoundland ferry and 2000 miles from home a few weeks after install. Shinko has quality control issues and lets some bad product out of factory. I’m through with Shinko and can’t trust them again I had also run 2 sets of 804/805 that did great

Here is tire I took off. Cracks were on nearly every lug and growing. On line search will show pictures of lugs having come off which I’m sure makes for a great ride.I could not risk that happening in Newfoundland.
View attachment 184026
Yeouch. Do you know if that's a problem other people have had?

·
Registered
Vx300 Embrace the Revs!
254 Posts
thanks. I hadn't considered them. They look a lot like the stock tyres...
They resemble the stock tires. They’re a bit more substantial. More structure especially with the rear radial. Better grip all around but a little easier to spin up on dirt roads, which I consider a plus.

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
Yeouch. Do you know if that's a problem other people have had?
When the E-705 SHINKO tires first started coming here, a LOT of people were having treads separating. A buddy lost the center treads over about 1.5 to 2 feet on his GS1200, and would NEVER use them again, even tho' SHINKO replaced his tires. I had my first E-705 tires on my KLR650 (tubeless!)

DSC04668 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

until they began 'checking' along about a foot of the center tread. I bad-mouthed them for years until the newer ones arrived, and they've worked just fine for me on my TWO V650s which currently are 'wearing' E-705s at both ends.

Good luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Availability of tires seems to be an issue. I constantly ran into "out of stock" but did widen the search and landed on a pair of Dunlop TrailMax Mission tires. They are getting very good reviews. I kept them stock size as I've already went with a 15 Tooth Rubber Bumpered front sprocket. The detail on the sprocket is elsewhere on this forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I fitted a set of Dunlop Trailmax Mission tyres after the OE tyres lasted 10000km.

I have since done an additional 24000km, yes you read it correctly, and the rear has only just started to show any signs of wear!!!

Crazy stuff, I will post some pics tomorrow.

These tyres have been awesome in all conditions, except for snotty plantation mud, so can HIGHLY recommend them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I fitted a set of Dunlop Trailmax Mission tyres after the OE tyres lasted 10000km.

I have since done an additional 24000km, yes you read it correctly, and the rear has only just started to show any signs of wear!!!

Crazy stuff, I will post some pics tomorrow.

These tyres have been awesome in all conditions, except for snotty plantation mud, so can HIGHLY recommend them.
Yeah, I checked them out. They're the most expensive, but if they last 24k km +, then I guess they're worth it.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
i had metzeler tourance, but they were a bit noisy on the highway. now, I fitted Pirelli scorpion Trail II. Much nicer. But there are so many nice tires to choose from.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i had metzeler tourance, but they were a bit noisy on the highway. now, I fitted Pirelli scorpion Trail II. Much nicer. But there are so many nice tires to choose from.
There are so many tires to choose from but also so many are out of stock. That is why I ended up with the Dunlops TrailMax Mission that do get a lot of great reviews. Now the dilemma - when to put them on ? My stock tires are just broken in (2000 miles) so I'm either going to wait until next year or just do it.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
There are so many tires to choose from but also so many are out of stock. That is why I ended up with the Dunlops TrailMax Mission that do get a lot of great reviews. Now the dilemma - when to put them on ? My stock tires are just broken in (2000 miles) so I'm either going to wait until next year or just do it.
Tires age. So if you planned to put them next year, it would be better to wait for fresh ones. Do you run with tubes?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts